ace 350 is only good for a backup?

I was talking to a guy who has been TH-ing since the early 70s and he generally hunts with Garretts but he said my 350 would only be good for a back up. He is a tough guy to talk to though, and didnt really explain his reason, he just changed the subject on me. Should I start looking around for better machines? Ive been using the 350 for about 3 months and have done alright, but would i have better success getting into something else?

draaiorgel

At 3 months your not giving the machine or yourself much chance to do better.
stompout.gif
stompout.gif

Be patient and happy with the 350, it always gets better with time.
151.gif

BTW that applies to all machines.
155.gif

robby4570

HEY! I just have a 250 and there is no way I consider it a "back-up".... ;)

My 250 is my primary dirt and dry sand beach hunter. Don't fret and above all else DO NOT let someone else influence you, find out for yourself.

I can honestly say that I have invested almost 200 hours into the 35o, and I will continue to do so. However, does anyone else feel like you have missed anything in the ground, or are ya all confident with your machine? I read about all the other machines on the market and just get to wondering if I had something else and went over all the same spots would I have different results, and when should I get a different machine?

robby4570

You can always upgrade, but every machine is going to miss SOMETHING. The MD is only as good as it's pilot. But there are better (more capable, deeper seeking) detectors around. I will get an AT Pro someday so I can VLF hunt in the rain and not worry about my MD. I have nearly 400 hours detecting and all but 12-1/2 hours are on the 250. I am in no rush to "upgrade" my VLF machine since I am just learning my PI machine now.

Xray

I wouldn't put much stock in what anyone says.
I have been using my 250 for 5 years, and don't feel the need to upgrade.
I in fact did get an AT Pro, mostly because of its alleged ability to go under water, but my 250 stays as primary detector.
We know going in that they aren't depth monsters, to me thats a good thing, because I don't want to be routinely digging 12" holes.

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
My Ace250 hits on targets way deeper than I want to dig. I have several detectors but that 250 still sits way high on the list.

Xray

My Ace250 hits on targets way deeper than I want to dig. I have several detectors but that 250 still sits way high on the list.
Mine doesn't, quarter air test is about 4 inches, then it breaks up and disappears after another inch.
Time for a new coil maybe, it should do a bit better than that.

Xray

That may be true, but ground conditions vary as well, while an air test does not.
Its a good indication of what kind of range you can expect for a coin sized object.
I think a quarter should air test better than 4 inches with a fresh 250.

DBG

I gotta agree with Beale and Andi,
There's Always something Better!!
But usually at Highly Inflated Prices.
I kinda look at purchases as bang for your buck.
Keep in mine I've never owned a 250 but I do have a 350.
And from what I've read on the forums An Ace 250 with a DD Coil
is an AWESOME machine.
I did upgrade to The AT Pro and yes it is Deeper
and has a lot more to offer than the Ace Line.
But It's a totally different Machine than the Ace line.
It's like having two machines in one.
WHAT YA NEED TO ASK YOURSELF IS
WILL I NEED TO FIND TARGETS AT +10"
Because with a DD coil the Ace 250
WILL go that deep.;)

Bobby1949

An old friend of mine once wrote a song. Title was:: "It's not what you got, but how you use what you got." I think this applies to a lot of things including Metal Detectors. ;)

DBG

well, this is all good feedback and I will just continue to keep on keepin on with the 350. Just want to say thanks to everyone for helping me out with this situation and reestablishing some faith in my machine.
Oh,there are better machines but not in
It's Price Range.
JMHO
;)

robby4570

what is truely the best out there, and what is it they do that others dont.....and generally..what is there price range?
There just is not a "BEST" machine. The uses and types of terrain are so varied that a machine that is good here in Florida may be mediocre at best in Colorado or somewhere else. Define the area and way that you plan to use it and tailor your machine choices for that.

DBG

There just is not a "BEST" machine. The uses and types of terrain are so varied that a machine that is good here in Florida may be mediocre at best in Colorado or somewhere else. Define the area and way that you plan to use it and tailor your machine choices for that.

Yup, what hem sayed!!!!!!!!
There's only a Couple Detectors
that are true ALL TERRAIN
;):D;)

You can only swing one detector at a time. If you have the time and dime to spend more on a better detector, I would do it. Too many post in the forums for your machine to be a back up machine lol. Old guys get grumpy and dont want to see that machine in their back yard. So keep swinging. Both of my detectors were very inexpensive and they produce. Do I miss stuff, oh yea. Do I hate the guy with the better discriminator that beats me to the park after a event, oh yea. I went the accessory route and just bought coils for my one detector. I am going to get a top line detector as my BH doesn't do everything I want it to do. But in the park it gets more signal than I can dig. Instead of a better detector maybe a new coil would be better. If your hunting more than parks, you may want a new machine. My thinking anyway. Good luck and be sure to post your finds.