Advice on detecting an old farm homestead

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting Questions & Answers' started by COMMANDR, Aug 12, 2012.

1. COMMANDR

COMMANDR Active Member

A friend and I got permission to detect the property of a retied farmer's old homestead.
    The farmhouse is just a foundation now and the barn and outhouse are in runes. The property dates back as far as he (the farmer) can remember to circa 1860. That's when his wife's parents homesteaded the place. Any advice, pointers or experience with detecting this kind of site would be very welcome. Looking forward to "swinging in to action" if you know what I mean. We will be the first detectorists to do the property. All comments welcome.
    diggin brains, cabinmanAK and Doc dog like this.
  2. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

You may want to get a good spade shovel for that outhouse,, taking care not to break any whiskey bottles that may have been secretly tossed. There must be a dump in a corner on the farm where farmers would toss what they couldn't burn. Try to determine the area that was the back of the house for searching the clothesline and swing areas. The cellar hole will turn up some goodies. If there is a tall shade tree out in the field ,, sweep around the trunk. OHHH the list is endless you lucky man with detector. Good Luck and HH :cool:
    steve07 and Doc dog like this.
  3. EBCIII

EBCIII Well-Known Member

Capron Va. We roll the Sidewalks up at 17:00
    Color me jealous! I agree with AGW! Try also to think like a young person back then. Where would you sit in the late day, where would the kids play or work. Was there a chicken coop. All these places and more. Beale.
  4. COMMANDR

COMMANDR Active Member

A guy I use to work with told me a story of the farm that they lived on when he was a kid. The property was an old farm with a barn and privy out back. There was a path to the privy that ran from the house (naturally) and he use to play along and on it with his toy trucks for hours and hours. The place was in Missouri somewhere and he lived there until he was in his twenties. His father sold the property and retired in Florida and he, moved to the Midwest. The second owner was excavating the land to build a new house. When he started digging up the privy he unearthed a mason jar right next to it containing silver and gold coins. He then, enlisted a friend with a detector and found every 3 feet or so, along the pathway to the house, mason jars with a cashe of coins. A total of roughly $250,000 in silver and gold coins. Hard to believe, but he swears it to be the truth. Quite the story, but truth is usually stranger that fiction and he was not one to BS about anything. To think he my have been literally sitting on a small fortune playing with his toy trucks. :)
    Digging Fool and Doc dog like this.
  5. JohnC

JohnC Well-Known Member

I want to join you! ;) Maybe set up Coin in your machine because old farm might have million of junk metal like piece of wires, piece of fence, many tiny nails and lot more old metal like screw, bolts, etc! I did at my uncle's small old farm and lot of junk!
  6. Megagold

Megagold Well-Known Member

I'd take John with you. He is to excited and lives near you? lol
    John, I hope you get the chance to go! :D
    Doc dog likes this.
  7. mfitzs70

mfitzs70 Member

See if you cam determine where the window where the kitchen sink was...before a/c women took off their rings and placed them on the window sill while doing dishes some fell out the window...
  8. richbat

richbat Active Member

Other good spots would be if there are any streams or ponds nearby i'd check those out also,kids love playing in or near water.Check any roadways leading into the fields and any shade trees in the field,what better place for the farmer to take a break from the field work.Good luck.Rich
    Doc dog likes this.
  9. Doc dog

Doc dog Well-Known Member

YEAH what every body else said above,,,,,,,,,I would go right to work on the outhouse ,,,,on the jealous scale id have to put that at a 9+:)
    steve07 likes this.
  10. COMMANDR

COMMANDR Active Member

Something more to add to this post. We had another conversion with the retired farmer today and he is still OK with us detecting on the property. He goes to a lot of auctions and is away form the place a lot and we said we would only be on property if he was home. Trying set up a time to do the detecting. He also told us a story about the old farm homestead just after he bought the place from his wife's parents. He said "you boys just might find something out there" and told us that when he went thru the the old house, under the sink, in an old sock, there was $25,000 in cash!!!! Maybe they also buried some coins or jewelry in the ground. We can only hope!!! Stay tuned for updates.
  11. Doc dog

Hummm, wonder if thats where the old saying "Ive got some money socked away' comes from?
  12. COMMANDR

COMMANDR Active Member

Good one Doc.:)
    Doc dog likes this.
  13. Rob1960

Rob1960 Well-Known Member

Search everywhere. Outhouses, chicken house, paths to the spring or well. Around any larger(older) trees or rotted stumps. Yes it will be trashy but there should be something there worth the effort.
    Doc dog, COMMANDR and steve07 like this.
  14. steve07

steve07 Well-Known Member

Set up a grid, not a physical one, on a hand drawn map and search section by section 3' x 3' or 5' x 5', whatever is easiest to manage...,Make a log or journal and make a production out of it...
    If you want to...
    COMMANDR and Doc dog like this.
  15. JohnC

JohnC Well-Known Member

CACHE is very possible! Check out large old trees, corner of house, below windows, barn, old fence and maybe around large rock! Good luck and let us know what you find something!
    Doc dog and COMMANDR like this.
  16. COMMANDR

COMMANDR Active Member

Got out to talk to the farmer yesterday and did just a little dirt fishing. He was going to a auction soon.
    Did not find much, some old keys, new pennies and of course the assorted aluminium trash. He said we could come back anytime when he was not business. Nice old couple, he's got a shed on the property that looks like something straight out of American Pickers.:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jeeper55 likes this.
  17. JohnC

JohnC Well-Known Member

Thats a lot of good old stuff! I would search front and back doors, open space between house and barn and around house. Find out if farmer is 2nd or 3rd owner then in the past of owner might have children then you might find some old coins and old metal toys from children. who knows!
    COMMANDR likes this.
  18. Doc dog

HOLY SMOKES you could hit the mother load,,,all it would take is to find 1 jar of gold coins BEST of luck in your hunt,,,,OH YEAH dont forget to look on top of the cross beams in the old barn
    COMMANDR likes this.
  19. Doc dog

EPC GUY i think I can see your old oil lamp it the barn;)
  20. steve07

steve07 Well-Known Member

Love the Oil Lamps in the fourth photo...
    Did you ask about purchasing any items?

Used to collect them. All gone from liquidating assets.
    I have one left actually, a real gem.
    COMMANDR likes this.