Air tests with 9x8 and 4" coils

I did some air tests with my 9x8 and 4" coils and thought I'd share my results. I understand that air tests don't tell the whole picture but they are likely indicative of general expectations. Rather than show all my results which could be tedious, I'll just highlight the extremes.

My 9x8, using max Threshold and sensitivity of 10, gave readings of a number of Canadian coins (1 cent to 25 cents) between depths of 6" to 7".

The 4" coil, using the same settings, worked to depths of 4.5" to 5". This looks like a loss of roughly 1.5" to 2" in going from a 9x8 to 4" Tesoro coil.

Next I tried to vary Disc, Threshold and Sensitivity values to see what would happen with the 4" coil. I used a 1979 Canadian 25 cent piece for this.

In Disc mode a depth of 4" was achieved with Threshold = 0, Discrimination = lowest and Sensitivity = 1. A maximum depth of 7" was achieved with Threshold = 100%, Discrimination = lowest and Sensitivity = Max (The setting in the red). That's quite a range if ground conditions allow.

Just as another test I tried all metal mode (AM) with settings of Threshold = a low, soft tone, Discrimination = lowest and Sensitivity = 1. The result was even better when I just got a signal at 7.5".

If someone has the time, I'd love to see something similar done with a 12x10 coil.

Harry

Where you wearing headphones when you did the tests?
No I wasn't. I've tried tests in the past where I couldn't really find a difference in using headphones vs. not using them. I found that puzzling since headphones are supposed to reveal deeper targets.

The headphones I purchased were supposed to be of good quality but I now wonder. They're White's with no model number. They do have volume controls on both earpieces.

Harry

Im happy with those results.

Before I comment. The cat got under the couch, and under my cushion somehow. When I sat down, I didn't know I could still move that fast. The cat is fine, I am still laughing.

Your results are similar to my old Bounty Hunter. But I envy the tones you get when you detect. I did not see a difference with the headphones on air test. But did notice more depth and sensitivity when I use them while searching. It appears they allow a better batter discharge, and more signal strength.

I think headphones are a real asset.

Did I mention I envy the tones a Tesero gives off.

EBCIII

IMHO headphones do make a difference in the field. Ab undug target will have a different aura, halo, whatever you want to call it. Good luck with the DeLeon it is a good unit, Beale.

EBCIII

Before I comment. The cat got under the couch, and under my cushion somehow. When I sat down, I didn't know I could still move that fast. The cat is fine, I am still laughing.

Your results are similar to my old Bounty Hunter. But I envy the tones you get when you detect. I did not see a difference with the headphones on air test. But did notice more depth and sensitivity when I use them while searching. It appears they allow a better batter discharge, and more signal strength.

I think headphones are a real asset.

The Only Tesoro with different tones is the golden. All others have a single tone, beale.

IMHO headphones do make a difference in the field. Ab undug target will have a different aura, halo, whatever you want to call it. Good luck with the DeLeon it is a good unit, Beale.
From what I've read all targets that have been in place over 50 years should give a stronger signal than an air test with a similar target. And perhaps that halo from a deep target will sound in headphones while not of the speaker.

The only tests on headphones have been air tests and I wasn't able to discern any difference. Of course, I also eliminated any ambient sounds, like wind, barking dogs, inquisitive bystanders, etc. so that may be a factor too.

Harry

ty EBCII

I learned something. I'm still jealous of machines that change their tone as you get closer to the target. I have been looking at such machines. Barring the learning curve, cost, and accessories, if I buy another machine, it will have that feature. Well worth the investment if I'm going to be spending the time to find the dime.

LOL! I'll bet the cat is now plotting it's next move to get back at you.

To my untutored ears I can only parse out two tones...scratchy-beep and beep. Deep, weak signals sound a scratchy-beep and I've never dug those before, thinking they were ferrous signals. That's why my buddy outdigs me 3 to 1. I can hardly wait until the white stuff and hard ground is once again gone to test this out.

Harry

HungryGhost

No I wasn't. I've tried tests in the past where I couldn't really find a difference in using headphones vs. not using them. I found that puzzling since headphones are supposed to reveal deeper targets.

The headphones I purchased were supposed to be of good quality but I now wonder. They're White's with no model number. They do have volume controls on both earpieces.

Harry
Thanks. I have a Vaquero and I did notice that air-testing did not give as good depth versus in-ground targets. I did not air test with headphones but now that I have a pair I'll retest with them. The biggest difference I saw while air-testing the V was to super-tune it. I gained a few inches in depth while super-tuned. I haven't hunted with the headphones either since I got them when the cold weather hit. Can't wait to try them this spring!