Anyone familiar with the Fisher 1280x????

First of, I know this is the beach hunting section and I do plan to use this detector in the water but tonight I took it out for the first time since buying it to a couple woodchip tot lots to try to get familiar with it.It had alot of chatter.I am use to using the White's Eagle Spectrum with the nice display and the vco feature.This detector just drove me crazy with the chatter and not knowing how deep targets were or even a clue as to what I am digging.I know only time using it will make me better, but does anyone who is skilled with this machine have any tips???I plan to use it both on land and in shallow creeks and rivers here where I live,so I don't want to dig to much trash in the water like nails and screws.Had alot of them tonight in the playgrounds.

Hi Paul, I haven't used the 1280 myself but you want to get the sens. control set to where you get rid of chatter. This is where you are going to have to spend a lot of time digging targets until you get used to the audio reponse on the 1280. I would really experiment with the disc. a lot. Of course you know that nails,bottle caps,iron objects have there own response. You will just need to mentally tune your hearing to recognize these sounds and responses. I use the Minelab Musketeer and you learn pretty fast to listen to that audio and mentally analyze it. I hope you will stay with the CZ20, I understand it is a very good machine. Ok Paul God Bless and let me know how it goes for you.

John Tomlinson,CET P=VI
John's Detectors
Blackwell,Tx.
Best Little Detector Shop in Texas!
:multi: :rocketwho

1280x

Hi paulb. I have a 1280X. The reason you have the chatter is because your sensitivity is set too high. It should be set at about 7 to 8. When you get the chatter just turn it back slightly until it stops. I set my discrimination at 1 with sensitivity and volume at thier highest when i'm hunting the water/ beach.When I get a signal I turn up my disc. to 3 and if the signal is smooth/solid in both directions I dig it. I don't use mine for land very much but I have and have dug a silver 5 cent @ 18". In trashy areas on land I set my disc. @ 5.My best day at the beach was 3 nice gold rings. Hope this works for you. Happy hunting.:bthumb:

Monk

Paul, The 1280X won't locate gold chains, I set my sincitivity on 8, Dis. on 5 and go for it. Don't dig the chatter! That will be stuff you had dis. out. Only dig the solid sounds. Works good for me.

You Made the BEST CHOICE!!!

Hey Paul, You made the Best Choice to take the step up to Great Machine.
I got my first 1280X in 1984. I lived in SW Louisiana.
Lot of great Places to Hunt for the old coins(lots of SILVER).
I had been using a Garret, but with the many weekends of Rain, I would have to sit home, wait till rain stopped and then go find the goodies. All Metals give off a better halo signal when the ground is WET.
I was a member of the Lake Charles Club, and was able to try several MD. I learned quick that Fisher had the Best for both Land and Water with the 1280x. And Paul, you will learn quick, that Rain is your Friend. I Hunted spots that were hunted for years, and was told picking would be slim. I was finding Indian head pennies and barber dimes, walking liberties, all in places that the old timers thought were hunted out. I have 2 now, one is my wife's, and both have paid back twice what they cost. We hunt Land and Water, Rain or Shine. Love it when Rains for Days, we are the only ones on the Beach now and We Find Gold All the Time. The 1280 will find a Gold earring post, bracelets, ankle chains, Toe Rings. You have the BEST all around Detector Made. Over half a dozen hunting buddies have switched since seeing all the Goodies my wife and I find. Listen for the sounds, those head phones are made to pick up faint noises. you will in be able to tell Trash from a Nick le or Gold. And Depth, Wife found a gold charm letter(K 14k) at about 20 inch's on a day it was Raining. I see your in Ohio, you have some great places to hunt, even in the winter rain or snow. And all those lakes and ponds and rivers where everyone hung out to get a tan with all that sun tanning oil on them, that's only the modern stuff you will find. Winters moving in, get out there and put some hrs on that 1280X, You will soon see what I'm sharing with you.

Good Hunting and Keep us Posted
Mark

1280X-I use it......

..Here in michigan,all I use it in is fresh water,Ive heard its not too good in salt water....AND:If you run the sensitivity too high;it will chatter a lot-Just tone down the sens.a tad,and yer good to go......:icon_cool

Roly

Hey Paul,

I've been using my 1280X for almost one year now. A buddy of mine recommended the following configurations for use in Florida Saltwater beaches:

I always set my descrimination to 0 or 1 if I'm detecting in the water (unit completely submerged) with a sensitivity of between 6 & 8. If the the chatter begins to be a problem, I turn the sensitivity down to 3 or 4. One other very important thing to consider, especially near shore where wave action is heavy, is to use velcro straps to keep the coil cable snug. This eliminated the majority of my chatter allowing to raise the sensitivity to between 6 & 8.

If I'm detecting in the water near the breaking waves (only coil submerged) I have to turn my sensitivity down to almost zero to be able hear good signals. ame goes for wet sand hunting.

In dry sand, i crank up the sensitivity to 9 with pretty decent results.

Once in a while (not too often) i turn discrimination up to the area between 3 and 4. This helps me eliminate bottle caps in some of our trashier beaches. I only do this when i begining to get fatigued after digging hundreds of caps. In test plots, I am able to tell the difference between the bottle cap tone and nickles at this setting. I'm told nickles and gold share similar characteristics on our detectors.

sorry about long reply, but i love this unit...

roly

Old detector but still a very good one

The 1280 was my first waterproof detector and since I traveled quite a bit I had three of them at various places. First the settings, Disc at 1 to 2 only. Volume as loud as you can stand it. Sensitivity is the one that gets most hunters in troube as they think the highter the setting the deeper it goes. This is only partly true. Being a preset GB detector when using to much sens you are making it more eratic to the minerals in the ground. It has plenty of depth at a setting of 3 to 5.
At the saltwater shorelines there is build up of extra salt and black sand together to make many detectors unstable there. Farther out in deeper water and up ashore into the wet sand the detector quiets down where it doesn't drive you crazy.
It is best to use this thing with the larger coil for the extra depth and more importantly for the extra coverage it gives per sweep. It is nice to let go of the shaft when digging a target and it floats right there within reach. It is much easier to use with the box hip mounted and saves the water resistance when sweeping too.

Tips: Always apply Silicone grease to the O ring. Never tighten the battery door screws more than hand tight.

Hi, I Had One It Worked Really Good I Found Alot With It..I Used It And Worked The Bottom About 15 To 20 Feet Down On The Average.. These Are A Tad Heavy For Wading Though.....Easy To Run I Never Had The Chatter Problem Though......JJ

the 1280 x wont locate gold chains

well I made the test and it is true!!! how come, I tried with a 14 k fine gold chain and the md doesent make a beep. can somebody tell me why. and a friend got the garett infinium ls, and it does not detect the gold chain either. both tests where made in the air.
why is this???:confused:
thanks for help!

walter

Mikey

TQ's Underwater Pirate
revived old thread

This old thread has great information on the use of the 1280-X. Since i am waiting for our Whites machines to be serviced i am back to the Fisher. I have been having a few probs with chatter.. going to try the settings suggested in this thread tomorrow. HH.:bthumb:

steve07

Wow!!!

Mikey I thought for a moment someone was a little loco digging up this old thread but, sometimes those old machines can still hang with the new boys!!!:bthumb::bthumb::bthumb:

Mikey

TQ's Underwater Pirate
Mikey I thought for a moment someone was a little loco digging up this old thread but, sometimes those old machines can still hang with the new boys!!!:bthumb::bthumb::bthumb:
Yah... as mentioned by another... this machine is built like a tank.:icon_cool

1280x

First of, I know this is the beach hunting section and I do plan to use this detector in the water but tonight I took it out for the first time since buying it to a couple woodchip tot lots to try to get familiar with it.It had alot of chatter.I am use to using the White's Eagle Spectrum with the nice display and the vco feature.This detector just drove me crazy with the chatter and not knowing how deep targets were or even a clue as to what I am digging.I know only time using it will make me better, but does anyone who is skilled with this machine have any tips???I plan to use it both on land and in shallow creeks and rivers here where I live,so I don't want to dig to much trash in the water like nails and screws.Had alot of them tonight in the playgrounds.
I have used the 1280x for over 10 years. I set the sensitivity knob at 5 when i begin hunting. Then adjust the disc to the point where it accepts a nickel.The 1280 does chatter if sensitivity is set too high.I will crank it up as high as the ground can take it and then back it off as needed. The headphone speakers are piezoelectric type and the sounds are charp pips and clicks.Dont let that dissappoint you about it driving you crazy with the chatter.I relic hunt so i dig up every signal .I do notice chatter when running the disc high.All that noise is the detector ignoring targets.

I have used the 1280x for over 10 years. I set the sensitivity knob at 5 when i begin hunting. Then adjust the disc to the point where it accepts a nickel.The 1280 does chatter if sensitivity is set too high.I will crank it up as high as the ground can take it and then back it off as needed. The headphone speakers are piezoelectric type and the sounds are charp pips and clicks.Dont let that dissappoint you about it driving you crazy with the chatter.I relic hunt so i dig up every signal .I do notice chatter when running the disc high.All that noise is the detector ignoring targets.
If you water hunt, dig out all the junk and you will find the goodies.