Best Bottles at 2011 Toronto Bottle Show

Arob

TORONTO - April 17th 2011, The Four Seasons Bottle Collectors held their seventeenth annual show and sale. These are all very good knowledgeable people, and the quality of the merchandise on each dealer's tables was truly outstanding. In addition to extremely fine examples of early Canadian glass, there were lots of unusual items like porcelain dolls, medical equipment and marmalade jars etc.

Ed Locke, seen above, brought and put on display a 1800's lithographic printing Solnhofen Stone on which there was a period advertisement for a brewery in Brandon Manitoba. The biggest bottle collectors from Ontario and Quebec attended this event and it was good for both private networking and sales to the public.

I was there and chronicled fifteen of thirty dealers alongside the most interesting items on display in 2011 Toronto Bottle Show on Dumpdiggers.

Chris (Newf) Welton has some sensational stoneware for sale here,

Chris is a part of a prolific team of veteran dumpdiggers - more than half of this table is found treasure.

Dwight Fryer is probably Canada's foremost poison bottle dispensary, and his vast selection of cobalt blue, green and amber poison bottles was priced to sell quickly between $30 and $50 dollars a bottle.

Terry Matz Torpedo Bottles is one of Canada's most discriminating pop bottle collectors - he trades in rare and expensive torpedo bottles.

Terry had on display an early English brass hinged mold for blowing torpedo bottles on display! This is indeed a truly one-of-a-kind item. Many of the dealers and attendees had never seen such a thing before in their whole lives as bottle collectors.

Whenever I attend a bottle show I get a little overwhelmed; I find it all slightly depressing because there in front of my eyes is so much treasure that's so fabulous and yet most of it is going down in price. On my Church website blog I wonder Is Buying Antique Bottles A Good Investment? Were they ever a good investment?

mtbricky

I've always loved to pick up a bottle or two in my travels metal detecting of arrowhead surface hunting. Bottles, like many "collectables" have seen shrinking values recently. Some of this is due to the economy, but I also think that auction sites such as ebay have made so much of the old stuff available that only the rarest and best retain or increase in their value. Also I know that fakes and forgeries are a constant problem for the prehistoric artifact collectors and antique dealers, so I'd imagine bottles suffer the same problem. Great pics!