Bounty Hunter 505 Pro

Hi guys I'm really new to metal detecting so I thought I would buy what seemed to be a good machine. I'm seem to be having trouble with it. I have turned the sensitivity 3/4 of the way off and I still get false readings. When I do start to dig and set the detector off to the side it will set there and make all kinds of noise. What am I doing wrong or do you think there is something wrong with the detector. HELP me somebody PLEASE!

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
Administrator-Site Founder
Hiya Taco, Welcome to TQ, the best place you'll ever find.

There's probably nothing wrong. It may be EMI interference or it may be that your sensitivity is turned too high. Check to see if there are any high line wires near you. Some these reak havoc with metal detectors. There could also be a target where you set the detector.

steve07

And

Hiya Taco, Welcome to TQ, the best place you'll ever find.

There's probably nothing wrong. It may be EMI interference or it may be that your sensitivity is turned too high. Check to see if there are any high line wires near you. Some these reak havoc with metal detectors. There could also be a target where you set the detector.
Andi is right. You do have to turn down the sensitivity quite a bit on those Bounty Hunter Metal Detectors.
In some Cities they have those new Transformer boxes on the ground and Electrical wires underground, steer clear of those by 100+ ft. or more. (I discovered this in a new neighborhood recently with my BH Pioneer 202.) Depending on where you live it could be ground mineralization too. If I recall correctly on the Bounty Hunter the coil wire is just a push in, sometimes you have to check the connection by the box, make sure it's in all the way.
You might also want to check the coil, I had a faulty 8" inch coil and changed it out with another and it was fine. Whatever the reason, I hope this gives you a start. Try turning down "Sensitivity" first.

Welcome and waving from Connecticut!!!:wavey::wavey::wavey:

GoGoGopher

I used to have a Pioneer 505

I could NEVER turn my SENSitivity above 12 o'clock, and I kept the DISCrimination at about 9 o'clock...make sure your batteries are fresh also......Make sure your coil wire is wrapped OVER the shaft with the first wrap, and tight to the shaft (not slopping around when you swing)...Keep the coil level with the ground throughout your swing (do not lift it at the ends of your swing)...If the problem persists in different locations...Send it back to First Texas...They will usually cover it under warranty, and it will cost ya about $8.00 for flat rate USPS shipping if you take the box off the rod and just send the control box and coil(s)...

HH,

steve07

That is odd

Thanks everybody I'll try everything you say! I'm just amazed that it can be sitting still and make noise.
As all Bounty Hunter MD's are motion detectors (you have to move them, for them to work)? Something sounds a little fishy...:doh::doh::doh: