bounty hunter lone star

I'm brand new to metal detecting. Got the lone star for Christmas. Does anyone have any opinons, advice, or experience with this machine?
Thanks.

C

cchughs

I have never used the Lone Star but my son uses the Traker IV and he finds a lot of stuff with it. As with any detector, there has to be stuff buried where you are swinging it to find anything. Do your research in your area to find old picnic grounds, fair grounds, any gathering places that are long gone and you will find good stuff. Try not to use too much discrimination or you will miss a lot of good finds. Dig every signal at first, I know a real pain but it is a learning process with any new detector. And practice, practice and then practice some more. Good luck and happy hunting.
:smile:​

Hey coinAdam:

I've got a friend from another Forum who uses the Lone Star exclusively. And while the rest of us keep looking for that elusive perfect detector, he goes along with the Lone Star and makes monkeys out of all of us. He hunts primarily school yards, fairgrounds, parks and old properties,and uses the 4" coil probably 90% of the time, for better separation in trashy conditions.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks guys. I've got some more newbee questions. How do I know how deep to dig? Do you use a small handheld shovel, and go through the dirt with your hands? I'm trying to figure all of this out,:oops: because I'm going on my first real hunt tommorrow morning.
Thanks

C

cchughs

Keep on digging

You will have to dig deep enough to get to the target. Dig a plug down about 3 to 4 inches and pull it out of the ground. Get used to laying your detector down with the coil close to the hole. Take that plug you pulled and wave it in front of the coil. If you are lucky the target will be in the plug, if no signal dig out some more. Keep waving what you bring out of the hole in front of the coil. Every now and then pick up the detector and wave it over the hole to make sure the target is still in the ground. The better you get at pinpointing the smaller the plugs you dig will be. One other thing, make sure you are not wearing a ring or watch on the hand you are waving in front of the detector. Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks guys. I've got some more newbee questions. How do I know how deep to dig? Do you use a small handheld shovel, and go through the dirt with your hands? I'm trying to figure all of this out,:oops: because I'm going on my first real hunt tommorrow morning.
Thanks
How'd your first hunt go? Don't worry,my first one only produced a dozen .22 casings,lots of old pulltabs and a single quarter that was used for target practice.I was using a BH lonestar.I still have it and use it as a back up detector.It works just fine.

How'd your first hunt go? Don't worry,my first one only produced a dozen .22 casings,lots of old pulltabs and a single quarter that was used for target practice.I was using a BH lonestar.I still have it and use it as a back up detector.It works just fine.
All I found were some pull tabs, an old can, and I also hit on some kind of pipes. Luckily, I noticed where the pipe emptied into a stream only a few feet from where I was, so I didn't bother digging there. I haven't been out since. I'm not sure where to go.

All I found were some pull tabs, an old can, and I also hit on some kind of pipes. Luckily, I noticed where the pipe emptied into a stream only a few feet from where I was, so I didn't bother digging there. I haven't been out since. I'm not sure where to go.
We can't have that. What state and county you in? I'll do a little research and try to give you a few areas you can hunt legally in your area.Maybe some others on here can offer you some advice as well?

We can't have that. What state and county you in? I'll do a little research and try to give you a few areas you can hunt legally in your area.Maybe some others on here can offer you some advice as well?
Missouri. Audrain county. Saw some interesting things in Free2detect's Missouri thread, but am not sure if I need permission, and if so, who to ask for it.