Can you find Gold in Texas?

Discussion in 'Prospecting for Gold' started by TXcoindigger, Feb 17, 2009.

1. TXcoindigger

TXcoindigger Member

Do any of the prospecting experts know if there are any places in my state of Texas where I can try my hand at finding Gold? I would like to try panning or detecting.

If not where would you recommend? Maybe a roadtrip to find my fortune. :psmile: Thanks TX
  2. Steve in PR

Steve in PR Well-Known Member

I saw there is a river in Texas that has produced. Saw that they were getting good yields there.

A little gold has been found in the Llano uplift area of central Texas. It occurs in quartz veinlets that cut through some of the Precambrian metamorphic rocks of Llano, Mason, northeastern Gillespie, and west-central Burnet counties.

As any placer miner knows, all of the little gold-bearing veinlets and stringers, when eroded over a broad area, can produce enough gold to form important accumulations in placer gravels. Such is the case in the area of the Llano Uplift. Gold can be panned from numerous creeks and gullies in the region. Whenever a streamcourse flows across outcrops of the Packsaddle Schist, there's a good chance for finding specks and flakes of gold. Several areas are especially noted for placer gold. The Llano River flows through the region, and gold can often be found in bars and banks of the river. In addition, gravels in tributaries of the river, such as the Little Llano River, Pecan Creek, Babyhead Creek, and San Fernando Creek are known to carry gold values. Sandy Creek, south of Llano is noted for its placer gold... Tributaries of Sandy Creek, such as Walnut Creek, Comanche Creek, Coal Creek, and Crabapple Creek are also noted for their placer gold.
  3. homefire

homefire Well-Known Member

4. EPC Guy

EPC Guy TQ Ambassador

My folks still live near Burnet, TX...hope to do some exploring in the area the next time we visit...good luck on your search for gold!
  5. homefire

homefire Well-Known Member

6. MinelabMan

MinelabMan Active Member

Good luck TX, hope you find some!
  7. TXcoindigger

TXcoindigger Member

Thanks for all of the replys. It looks like Texas has slim pickens for Gold really. May not be enough to make a road trip for, but if a person found themselves in Lanno county he may get lucky. TX
  8. TreasHunt

TreasHunt Active Member

Sure you can find gold in Texas, but, sometimes it is in the shape of a ring.
  9. TXcoindigger

TXcoindigger Member

I knew this was going to be an answer when I asked the Question:bthumb:
  10. TreasHunt

TreasHunt Active Member

I am just glad that I didn't disappoint!

Good luck.
  11. schoser

schoser Well-Known Member

Not familiar with Texas gold areas...but it sounds like you'd find some if ya tried it out. Good luck!!!!:spin:
  12. Pulltab Princess

Pulltab Princess New Member

gold in texas?!

keep us posted. i think there's probably none in the panhandle; i think you have to have rivers...
  13. TXcoindigger

TXcoindigger Member

Thanx schoser, I am going to do more research on the Texas hill country area. I think there may be areas that would be fun to try.
    LOL yep its pretty dry up there. I bet there is a lot of outlaw gold to be found though. TX
  14. beaks

beaks Member

llano gold

i took the trip down there again to my secret spot on the llano and came back with about 3 oz of flour gold after 4 hours of panning.

when you find it just scoop up the dirt and take it with you because it's too fine to pan out in the river.

i use mercury and retort it then run it through nitric acid to clean out the silver and other metals.

its all good around the uplift and its a great place to camp, if you dont mind paying Longs has a place to camp and dig for gold or you can either ask a property owner or set up a tent on a public access area.

John
  15. beaks

beaks Member

just panned the brazos above mineral wells and found a picker and some flakes, it may have been just dumb luck but its worth a shot if you live close enough.