Clean & wash bottles today!!!

Mr.Silver

wash bottles that been soaking for 3 weeks!!!:yikes:

Here some pic's:

Mr.Silver:cool:

Attachments

EBCIII

Great looking bottles Perry! Very good job with them. I agree with Rae I want to know what you soak them in, Beale.

Mr.Silver

Great looking bottles Perry! Very good job with them. I agree with Rae I want to know what you soak them in, Beale.
Hi Rae and EBC,

I soaked them water(up to 20 gallons) and 16 ozs, or more of very hot water and OxyClean, and Dawn dishwashing soap, soak in a big 2 bay fiberglass wash tub outside for 2 to 4 weeks(just the embossed one and/ clear bottles).

I take bottle brushes of different sizes to wash my bottles, also I buy BB's for a BB gun I sometimes wash the inside with them(swish the BB's around bottle with soap solution around and around to I desire that the bottle is washed. Sometimes when their is heavy rust on bottle, I take soft stainless steel brush, & rub the area UNDERWATER to it comes clean:grin:

After the bottle is clean , I buried the bottle (upright) in a clean bucket filled with water(5 gallon bucket), and let the soap solution wash off the bottle'.

And then I take the bottle & let in dry upside down, I made a drying rack out of spool of wire(empty) drilled 3" size holes in it on top of rack(for putting in door handles) all around spool and let them dry that way and /or dish rack works the same way:smile:

Do Not soak your painted bottles for this time period, just cause they will wash the paint right off the bottle:yikes: For painted one's( or pyroglazed), I tryed to let the painted ones dry in bucket or on shelf for at least 2 months or more before I starting washing them.

The painted one's take time, I run cold water very, very careful to see if the paint would run off or not, Then I take a toothbrush and rub GENTLY on painted surface, you have take time with these bottles. They sometimes the paint comes off anyways, so the drying time is the best way(3 months is best or more.

Mr.Silver :wavey:

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Perry, those are some really nice looking bottles..They look to be old..Thanks for the tips on cleaning..I do have a few old ones here that I would like to try that with..They were packed up from Delaware about 9 years ago and are in storage, but they are old and your info will help when I do clean them out...Thanks, Chuck..:wavey:

bootybay

Thank you Mr. Silver, I have a few bottles that need a good cleaning..boy am I impressed with your method.. thanks again:bthumb:

smartfox

Perry

those are really nice. I do not know of any places in Florida where I am to collect bottles. Sounds like another good hobby I would like to get into sometime.

Mr.Silver

those are really nice. I do not know of any places in Florida where I am to collect bottles. Sounds like another good hobby I would like to get into sometime.
Hi Smartfox, if you have the courage to ask some farmers were theur dump was, ask permission first, then ask, if theirs any farms near you.

Another place talk to some oldtimes asked them where city dumps were, that's what I do dig some city dumps and farm dumps. the farm dumps are the best cause the age of the bottles, city dumps range from 1920-1960, unless the city dump is back in the 1800's. to turn of century.

When I first dug bottles, I asked this farmer who owned the land , the house was torn down, but the farm dump was still there, right below the house in deep ravin. i dug only milk bottles over 2000 of them:yikes: That's right over 2000 milk bottles i dug out that farm, I asked the farmer Why? so many milk bottles? He told me many years ago the little old lady raise 12 children in this house and they like milk:lol: I dug 1 - medicine bottle ,1 - poision bottle, old mickey mouse head, and 1 chemical bottle from 1800's. I dug every milk bottle dairy in beaver county,PA and sold every one of them. I made so much$$$$$$ that year!:spin:

Mr.Silver:wavey:

:wave: Hi Mr. Silver, We have some old dairies around here in CA, you give me some great ideas! I also have several old bottles that need cleaning but they have lots of color on them from aging, that I would be afraid to wash off.
Would washing them destroy their value?? ND

Mr.Silver

:wave: Hi Mr. Silver, We have some old dairies around here in CA, you give me some great ideas! I also have several old bottles that need cleaning but they have lots of color on them from aging, that I would be afraid to wash off.
Would washing them destroy their value?? ND
No If you wash the inside you okay, but is these bottles been buried from the ground or bought from a antique store and/or fleamarket? Just be carefully about washing them around the painted area dont scrub too hard just hand washed them or just clean the inside! I hope this helps you out! Let me know if the bottles been dug or not!

Mr.Silver:wave: