Cleaning advice

H

History Junkie

Yesterday I dug up a bottle that was from a local pharmacy sometime in the 40s I guess. It is in amazing condition considering the depth I found it at, but one question on cleaning.

The bottle is printed on the front, and I think I read somewhere that you must allow the printing to dry before cleaning. I want to give the bottle to the local historical society, and I do not want to smear it.

How long should I wait before cleaning?

Thanks HJ

Mr.Silver

Hi HJ!

I cleaned my bottles with a label, I let them dry 2-6 months or more sometimes it helps to put cold water on them after drying a bit(6 months)but do not rub them while cleaning, just avoid rubbing the label. Is it ACL(applied color label) or a paper label. Or just clean the inside of bottle after drying.

Mr.Silver:wavey:

H

History Junkie

Mr. Silver,

The bottle has a paint applied label, I rinse it with the hottest water I have every second evening. Some of the grime in the applied area has washed away without rubbing, but some won't budge. Do you think a plain dishwater soak then rinse may help??

Thanks for replying,
HJ

Mr.Silver

Hey HJ!

I use Dawn dishing washing liquid in my bottles,some Oxylene Clean, and rub the label with a very soft toothbrush( a used one),rub the label very careful making a circle movement, do not rub hard ,very lightely, on surface of label,under the water(submerge the entire bottle under water) if it ACL start to come off,(STOP) it, its to soon, you might have too dry it 2 months or longer, just put it on a shelf and forget about it!!! Just try a corner of the ACL label to see if its ready to be clean not take it off, if the ACL label discolorized(it looks like its faded) it time to QUIT!!!

Mr.Silver:wavey:

If the label is red then it will be very difficukt to clean without destroying it. Red is always the first color to go. I ruined a bottle by simply putting it in luke warm water and dawn dish liquid. I got the wash cloth really soapy and wasn't applying any pressure to the bottle at all. I just did light circles basically using the weight of the wash cloth when I noticed that the soap suds began to turn pink. most of the red came right off with no pressure at all. I did make the mistake of not letting the bottle dry after I dug it. Definately let it dry and then test wash a small spot on the bottle before you ruin it. Hope this helps. Jason

H

History Junkie

Thanks for the advice Swizzle. The bottle is lettered in white and is coming along well. I have been running it under hot water, and veeery gently flaking off the dirt with a toothpick. Then I'll let it dry for a couple more days and repeat the process. Its looking pretty good and the white lettering is brightening nicely.

Thanks again,
HJ