Coil problem??

Old1948guy

Here’s my issue it started as a intermittent problem in the spring if I bumped the coil against a twig or tall weed it falses with a high tone. The last 2 times out the lawns have been very wet from rains the previous night it’s been terrible, just hitting a crabgrass clump sets it off, in fact this morning just squeezing the tip of the coil between my thumb and forefinger sets it off. So is this a common problem with these? Is it correctable or just time for a new coil? I don’t think there’s more than 75 hours on this one sadly. I’ve been thinking about a smaller sniper type anyway since most of the parks I hunt are quite trashy. Thanks for any solutions or thoughts. Paul

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Here’s my issue it started as a intermittent problem in the spring if I bumped the coil against a twig or tall weed it falses with a high tone. The last 2 times out the lawns have been very wet from rains the previous night it’s been terrible, just hitting a crabgrass clump sets it off, in fact this morning just squeezing the tip of the coil between my thumb and forefinger sets it off. So is this a common problem with these? Is it correctable or just time for a new coil? I don’t think there’s more than 75 hours on this one sadly. I’ve been thinking about a smaller sniper type anyway since most of the parks I hunt are quite trashy. Thanks for any solutions or thoughts. Paul
Paul.... bumping the coil in high grass or weeds WILL make it give off a false high tone signal. All my White's detectors did that and my Garretts do it. Also, back in 2010 when I was using a Garrett Ace 250 as a backup detector it would false like crazy in wet grass. The Garretts I'm using now, the Ace 400 and AT Pro don't false in wet grass. I have no idea why it falses when you squeeze it. I could be wrong but I don't think you need a new coil.

Old1948guy

Ok thanks Ed. I too have had that happen with a White’s I used to borrow it’s just that it seems to have gotten worse lately but maybe it’s just been the very wet grass. Then there still is the mystery of when I touch the coil @ the 1 o’clock position, high tone? I’ve never seen that before. I suppose I’ll take the coil cover off clean everything off again and go from there.

draaiorgel

When we had the Garrett 250 aces same thing happened to us.
Rather than pay for a repair and postage we just got new NEL coils
think they were 12 inch DD Hunter coils.

Luckily that was the problem, and the PP on them was spot on every time.
7_16_21.gif
7_16_21.gif
7_16_21.gif
7_16_21.gif