Coils

rktect_1

Wanted to get thoughts on the sniper coil versus the 5x8 DD coil. Does the sniper coil go as deep? Or would I be better off to purchase the 5x8? I hear a lot of people saying the 5x8 is the way to go but wanted to get some thoughts from people who have used them both. I appreciate any help with this.

against the wind

The sniper coil being the smallest of coils, will get to a depth of maybe 4 inches.
It can also be used to get to targets that were dropped up close to metal fences.
The 5 X 8 is the choice that I made. I recovered targets at 9 inches using it.
It also has excellent target separation when working in trashy areas.

Last edited:

KRose

If my Whites 950 coil sells I'm looking at getting a smaller coil for my MXT PRO. I've narrowed it down to either the 5.3 eclipse coil, or the 4x6 shooter coil. I have watched many videos on these coils. Most say you may get a little more depth with the 5.3 coil while the 4x6 shooter has an edge on better separation in heavily trashy areas. I thought I had my mind made up on the 5.3, but I am leaning towards the 4x6 shooter. We'll see. My other coil needs to sell first. I just realized I posted this on the Garrett thread. Forgive me. I like Garrett too.

rktect_1

Thanks for all the responses. I wanted to get others opinions who have used these coils. I appreciate everyone chiming in and will probably start with a 5x8 coil. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get some you should have ask posts later. Thanks!

I use the 5x8 on my AT Pro 99% of the time. I have a sniper coil as well that I generally only use for sidewalk tearouts because it's such a small area.

nissn1

My first outing with the 8x5 i found a gold ring right on the shoreline with salt water washing over. Haven't found a damn thing since though. My .02c the 8X5 is way better in high mineralized soils and sand than the oem coil, easier to tune with little to no falsing , and as already said separates or picks out targets better and is lighter to throw around (y) oops sorry , just read the ops first post, sorry don't know much about the sniper coil ,i expect it finds smaller targets at the expense of depth but as far as allrounder goes the 5X8 hits the mark

Last edited: