CTX - 3030

I am considering trading in my Tiger Shark and buying a new machine and I'm interested in the CTX -3030. I have a E-Trac now and it has turned me into a Minelab fan. I like that the CTX-3030 can be used on land and water. Does anyone know how it performs in fresh water lakes and on ocean beaches? I am also considering Minelab's Excalibur as an alternative for water detecting. If you have any thoughts I will appreciate reading them.

Thanks in advance

Reeseb

I am considering trading in my Tiger Shark and buying a new machine and I'm interested in the CTX -3030. I have a E-Trac now and it has turned me into a Minelab fan. I like that the CTX-3030 can be used on land and water. Does anyone know how it performs in fresh water lakes and on ocean beaches? I am also considering Minelab's Excalibur as an alternative for water detecting. If you have any thoughts I will appreciate reading them.

Thanks in advance
Hi, NC Joe. I have a CTX3030 and an Excalibur II. I have several hours under my belt with the CTX in fresh water but none in salt water. I bought the CTX for its land capabilities and to use it in the rain, but I was also hoping that it would prove to be a depth demon in the hunted-out areas of Lake WA. I am very happy with what his machine will do on land and, as a result, I sold my E-Trac but I'm not particularly impressed with the CTX in the water. Those hunted-out spots in the water didn't come alive for me with this machine. In fact TID seems to be erratic in water - even with shallow targets. The new beach mode wasn't any help and I've since turned back to my Excal and CZ21 for water hunting. I haven't yet given up on the CTX in the water, but right now I'm really enjoying my CZ21 and it is really doing the job for me in hunted-out areas.

The CTX is, hands down, the best land machine for my area and I'm not sorry for my purchase. It's hasn't proved to be any deeper than the E-Trac but the TID on land and the speed are big improvements. The balance is also a big plus over the E-Trac. Target Trace and the GPS features do nothing for me, but the faster recovery delay and deeper TID have really made a difference for me over the E-Trac.

Hope this helps.

Reese

River Styx

Thanks in advance
I am new to the machine and detecting but have about 6, 5-8 hr days on the beaches and can tell you that I tried for a while in about 1 foot of water just to see if I held it above the waves if it would still hit, it did and each time it did I found. Not to say that if I had it on the sand in the water it might have found more. Just saying its impressive.

River Styx

CTX is not very waterproof either....
I am not sure, I am a new owner to this machine as well as detecting but in the research I did prior to my purchase I have found it to be warranted at 10 feet yes but there are several people that have told me that they have gone as deep as up to 30 feet with no issue. They did specify that you better make sure there is no sand or dirt in the seal area and take time to make sure it is seated properly.

Just passing on what I was told. Do not know first hand as of yet but do plan to do some snorkel with it this summer for sure.

Orosurf

I am not sure, I am a new owner to this machine as well as detecting but in the research I did prior to my purchase I have found it to be warranted at 10 feet yes but there are several people that have told me that they have gone as deep as up to 30 feet with no issue. They did specify that you better make sure there is no sand or dirt in the seal area and take time to make sure it is seated properly.

Just passing on what I was told. Do not know first hand as of yet but do plan to do some snorkel with it this summer for sure.
You are right about the sand or dirt. My friend is a Minelab dealer and has has two CTX's leak. Each one after only a couple of weeks use. Both leaked from the USB socket, the first was replaced , the second repaired. As I am sure you know the battery compartment seal is also very thin and fragile. Anyone who takes one to 30 feet is very unwise , The pressure at 10 feet is 1.3 atm. , the pressure at 30 feet is 1.9 atm. so almost 30% more. I am not saying you couldn't get away with it , but it will almost certainly leak eventually , when it does, the very least it will cost you is some expensive shipping and who knows how long in time.
All that said, the CTX works very well (when it does) .

River Styx

Great to know. I appreciate the atmospheric table as well. I do not suspect myself doing more than 10-15 at any time.

I am also surprised they have not come up with a newer or better gasket, thicker perhaps with a softer material for a better seal.

Hey maybe there is a market there lol

All that being said for my personal use I am sure 90% of my use will most always be dry unless it's raining. I am looking forward to doing some California, Arizona, and Nevada soon. Not to mention wy, mt, and midwest too.