Diving with my Tiger Shark

Hi there I'm getting ready to go to Roatan Honduras and do a lil hunting... I was wondering how you all set up your sharks to dive with them..IE mounting the box to your BCD and how you use the coil. I'm thinking that mounting the box on the BCD and taking the coil off the pole and useing it by hand might be the easiest...but I could be WAY wrong...any help would be great. I know that I can take the center pole out of the middle but that still seems to long to me. This will be it's 1st trip to the salt water world I hope it works ok! I know of some VERY busy beaches that no one hunts that Ive been told.... THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
The Tiger Shark is not happy in salt water, really more of a freshwater machine. If you can get your hands on an Excal you will have a better experience.

Good Hunting to You,

If they are not happy in salt what why is it that they have a salt setting on them?? I'm not being hard to get along with I'm just asking so I will know. That was the main reason I bought it due to it having a salt water setting:banghead: I thought it would be good in both fresh and salt. if you all don't think it will work to well maybe I shouldnt even take it with me...Weight is a premium...only aloud 50lbs and that has to include my dive gear and my clothes for 2 weeks.....

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
If they are not happy in salt what why is it that they have a salt setting on them?? I'm not being hard to get along with I'm just asking so I will know. That was the main reason I bought it due to it having a salt water setting:banghead: I thought it would be good in both fresh and salt. if you all don't think it will work to well maybe I shouldnt even take it with me...Weight is a premium...only aloud 50lbs and that has to include my dive gear and my clothes for 2 weeks.....
The Tiger Shark does have a salt setting and it does 'help' but this is truly a freshwater machine. By many accounts it is one of the best freshwater machines you can buy, super sensitive on small gold items, it does stuff in freshwater that my Excal just can't do half as well. Switch to salt water and the roles reverse, my Excal or CZ-21 and the Dually will leave the Tigershark in their wake.
That said, the Tiger Shark will work in saltwater with the saltmode on, it just won't work very well, so be prepared for a performance decrease compared to your experience with it in freshwater. Some Tigershark users will possibly be able to help with settings for saltwater but since I live on the island of Bermuda and I am surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean I only use dedicated saltwater detectors here.

Roatan is a gorgeous spot, have a great time.:pcool:

Ugg now I'm torn weather to take it or not. Yes you are very true it's awesome there... I have been to Roatan 4 times now and love it. I have a share in a private built house so I can go down about 2 times a year...I was going to leave this machine down thet but I guess I better reconsider my options.........

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
I'm assuming that you have only the Tiger Shark for underwater detecting, so my suggestion is take it down to Roatan and get it wet. If you are happy with the results then it is a win, if it doesn't work well enough to satisfy you then you still have an excellent freshwater unit for up north. I'm assuming that most of your water work is in fresh anyway so it is no loss if it doesn't produce in the briney.
Get an Excal if you aren't happy with your results and leave that in Roatan, you can still keep the TigerShark stateside.:bthumb:

At least you will know,

Very true! Thanks so much for the info. I will take it down there with me..who knows might do me just fine....Im still a new guy to all this.. I have used it up here in Missouri and it works great.....But not to sure that my wife will let me buy a Excal and keep the Tiger...She about had a cow when she saw how much this Tiger Shark was going to cost me LOL

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
Very true! Thanks so much for the info. I will take it down there with me..who knows might do me just fine....Im still a new guy to all this.. I have used it up here in Missouri and it works great.....But not to sure that my wife will let me buy a Excal and keep the Tiger...She about had a cow when she saw how much this Tiger Shark was going to cost me LOL
Interestingly enough, my wife was the same way when I decided to get the Excalibur 1000 after swinging the ACE250 for a few months. Fortunately, my wife and I consult each other on decisions but in the end we make our own decisions - so against her advice I bought the Excalibur. After the 3rd gold ring my Princess started to come around and after this ticket she was a full fledged believer. I always thought my wife was from Montreal but apparently she is from Missouri.:arghh:

Attachments