Does your Pro-Pointer ever do this?

RKW

Before I ask the Q, I want to offer some advice to someone like me who's just getting into metal detecting. BUY A PINPOINTER! Ideally, do it when you first buy your detector, even before you buy headphones or extra coils. Best $127.00 I ever spent.

So anyway .... I tend to set my pinpointer down next to the hole I'm digging and leave it on. I pick it up from time to time and check the hole or check what has come out of the hole. Occasionally, whilst laying on the ground, it will start to "chirp" a little and seem to become unstable. This might happen a half dozen times in a 4 hour session. When it does this I turn it off and back on and it seems to "reset". Is this the nature of the beast or does it have a problem? I should mention that I'm using the battery that it came with and I haven't checked the voltage with a multi-meter so I suppose it could be low. :confused:

RKW - My ProPointer does the same thing and so does the one my wife uses. It happens to all my friends as well. Initially I thought mine was broken in some way, but it's fine. It just keeps doing its job!!

Dom in Jersey

HOWDY

same here. happens maybe once or twice in a 4-6 hour hunt, turn it off and back on and all is good. have heard this from too many people to bother sending it in, must be a normal happening.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Mine also does this..I was thinking that maybe I got something close to it and it sounded off..Chuck...:bthumb:

EBCIII

I really have not noticed mine doing that? I have the speaker hole covered up with several layers of 3M Electrical tape. This and the fact I am 1/2 deaf coul be the reason i have not heard it doing this? maybe it is picking up minerals in the soil? Beale.

Happens to mine also. I thought I was just putting it down to rough on its side. But as everyone else I just shut it off and turn it back on and it's good to go.

Must be an inherent trait of the Pro Pointer, mine does it as well I've simply learned to turn it off then on. Like was mentioned it resets itself when turned off and back on again.

I saw on another thread and maybe on another forum that if you put a penny over the butt of the battery and then put the cover back on that it helps eliminate that problem. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but plan on doing that.

I saw on another thread and maybe on another forum that if you put a penny over the butt of the battery and then put the cover back on that it helps eliminate that problem. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but plan on doing that.
Nice tip Frank, thanks, I think I'll give it try, got nothing to lose. :bthumb:

RKW

I just passed it along wish I would have thought of it myself. But for the original poster I say "Your Welcome"
Hey buddy, I'm working 60 hours a week and can't always make it back to this forum as frequently as I'd like to.

Thanks to Frank and everyone else for their responses.

Zip Zip

Before I ask the Q, I want to offer some advice to someone like me who's just getting into metal detecting. BUY A PINPOINTER! Ideally, do it when you first buy your detector, even before you buy headphones or extra coils. Best $127.00 I ever spent.

So anyway .... I tend to set my pinpointer down next to the hole I'm digging and leave it on. I pick it up from time to time and check the hole or check what has come out of the hole. Occasionally, whilst laying on the ground, it will start to "chirp" a little and seem to become unstable. This might happen a half dozen times in a 4 hour session. When it does this I turn it off and back on and it seems to "reset". Is this the nature of the beast or does it have a problem? I should mention that I'm using the battery that it came with and I haven't checked the voltage with a multi-meter so I suppose it could be low. :confused:
Nature of the beast.

Here's a tip for you. If you're digging a hole, once you pull a little dirt out, sitck the tip of the Pro-Pointer in the dirt and turn it on. This balances the pinpointer to the mineraliztion in the ground, if there is any. I have been in highly mineralized ground, turned on the Pro-Pointer and stuck it in a hole and it would chirp quickly. If I did as described above, it would be silent in the ground until it came into range of target.

Drenthe

Here's a tip for you. If you're digging a hole, once you pull a little dirt out, sitck the tip of the Pro-Pointer in the dirt and turn it on. This balances the pinpointer to the mineraliztion in the ground, if there is any. I have been in highly mineralized ground, turned on the Pro-Pointer and stuck it in a hole and it would chirp quickly. If I did as described above, it would be silent in the ground until it came into range of target.
I am going to try that in the wet sand that has a little water in the bottom of the hole. Most of the time the salt minerals will make it go off immediately. Thanks!