First Hunt With New AT MAX

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0560 (2).JPG
I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and spent it on a new Garrett AT Max detector. I got a huge discount from the advertised sell price PLUS Garrett was giving away a FREE Z-Lynk AT Propointer so it was too good a deal to pass up. With the hunt season almost over around here I was going to wait until spring to try it out but the temptation was too strong so I took it out for a test run on Saturday morning. I went to a soccer field I'd been hunting and spent two and a half hours there. The MAX is similar to my AT Pro but has some differences so I wanted to start the learning process. The hunt started off slowly but eventually the coins started coming and I ended up with 42 clad coins worth $8.88 and a non silver St. Christopher medallion. The other object in the photo is some kind of doo-dad from Samsonite...….probably used to pull the zipper on a piece of luggage. It was in fact the first item I dug with the new detector.:) Sue's cat seemed to want to make himself comfortable near the box before I opened it.

DigsNW

Looks like a good machine for you. You got your usual amount of clad and a couple extras. I have gone from an MTX to the AT Pro and still have never figured it out completely. It does get deeper targets though. i bought the Whites machine in 2008 and used it for many years before switching. I am one of the “electronics challenged” so the Pro is a lot of machine for me.
I hope the MAX treats you well over the coming years.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Looks like a good machine for you. You got your usual amount of clad and a couple extras. I have gone from an MTX to the AT Pro and still have never figured it out completely. It does get deeper targets though. i bought the Whites machine in 2008 and used it for many years before switching. I am one of the “electronics challenged” so the Pro is a lot of machine for me.
I hope the MAX treats you well over the coming years.
Thanks Dave.....it's raining cats and dogs here today so our usual Sunday hunt is cancelled. I have an AT Pro that I've been using for just over a year and like it a lot. I started off using the Standard mode to get familiar with it because standard mode is easy to learn. I'd been a White's guy since 1983 but after I won the Pro in a seeded hunt last year I became a fan of Garrett.
I found some deep 8-9 inch silver with it and it's a very capable machine. I'm liking the MAX so far but I'll have more of an opinion about it next spring when I can use it a lot more.

too_pointer

Happy you like the Max, that is what I want, but might have to settle for the Pro, which is still a heck of a machine. Since I already bought the Pro Pointer AT, don't really need the one that comes with the Max ( though ) would love to have it. You sure did awesome for your first time out with the Max (y):p
too_

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Happy you like the Max, that is what I want, but might have to settle for the Pro, which is still a heck of a machine. Since I already bought the Pro Pointer AT, don't really need the one that comes with the Max ( though ) would love to have it. You sure did awesome for your first time out with the Max (y):p
too_
If you end up with the Pro you won't be disappointed because it's a very good detector.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Glad you are happy. being a Garrett only swinger of over 50 years I have given up on them for bad customer service! Own 7 G's.
Hopefully I'll never have to find out whether their customer service is any good or not. Most people have said that Garrett's customer service is top notch. What was it that they did or didn't do that soured you on the service?

Last edited:

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Looks like your getting the hang of that Max. I'm hoping to get out with my Max again before the ground freezes but we got a mixture on Sunday of rain, sleet, and snow,
It poured rain here on Sunday so we had to cancel our planned hunt. For this coming Sunday they're predicting a mix of rain and snow so we may have to cancel again. I'm hoping to get out for a couple of hours on Thanksgiving Day but strong winds are predicted. Having used an AT PRO made the transition to the MAX a little easier than if I was using something from another company. I hunted in custom mode using some notch disc but next spring I'll possibly experiment with Zero or all metal. The Max is more sensitive than the Pro and in the field I searched with no EMI interference with the Pro I got some interference with the Max from a nearby telephone pole. I lowered the sensitivity one notch and switched frequencies and that solved the problem.