Fisher 1280X Aquanaut detector

Dtektor

I am stoked that my daughter just gave me a Fisher 1280X detector for Father's Day! Now I realize it isn't new but I would really like to get to using and learning it ASAP. It came with manuals, warranty reg card (owners half anyway), headphones, belt/harness clip, and a hard case. The only issue I have is that the 9 volt-style snap fitting on the battery holder is missing half of the snap. The part that is attached to the detector control box is still intact. Can a new or workable used battery holder be obtained easily or at all?
Thanks

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
The connector or the plastic thingy that holds the battery? You can get the connector at any Radio Shack or scavenge one from a $1 toy or something from a second hand shop/yard sale. For the plastic clip, if its removable you may be able to get one from Fisher or if its not cardboard makes a good wedge to keep it in place.

Dtektor

The connector or the plastic thingy that holds the battery? You can get the connector at any Radio Shack or scavenge one from a $1 toy or something from a second hand shop/yard sale. For the plastic clip, if its removable you may be able to get one from Fisher or if its not cardboard makes a good wedge to keep it in place.
The battery holder (8 AA's) is the piece that has lost half the 9volt connection. I will try to take a picture and post it. So, I guess I need a replacement battery holder if anything. If I can't locateone, I will have to improvise something.

DBG

The battery holder (8 AA's) is the piece that has lost half the 9volt connection. I will try to take a picture and post it. So, I guess I need a replacement battery holder if anything. If I can't locateone, I will have to improvise something.
Now I'm not totally posititive about this,
but I think Radio Shack Has them.
;)

Dtektor

Now I'm not totally posititive about this,
but I think Radio Shack Has them.
;)
DBG,
I checked Radio Shack and they DO have this item for sale at $2.29. Thanks so much and thanks to Fisher for using something "off the shelf" and easily replaced. Weeeeeeeee! I'm going detecting as soon as I can make it to Radio Shack and buy one!
Thanks to all for the responses. I will let you know how my first hunt goes.

Dtektor

DBG,
I checked Radio Shack and they DO have this item for sale at $2.29. Thanks so much and thanks to Fisher for using something "off the shelf" and easily replaced. Weeeeeeeee! I'm going detecting as soon as I can make it to Radio Shack and buy one!
Thanks to all for the responses. I will let you know how my first hunt goes.
As luck would have it. I picked up 2 of the battery holders at Radio Shack for less than $5 today. I got home and put the batteries in and voila! Set to battery test position, turned up volume, and got nuttin'. It seems the connector on the wire portion is very brittle and the positive wire broke immediately. So, I will head back to the Shack (or somehow talk my wife into it;) and get the new connector soldered up. Any pointers with this machine?

Dtektor

As luck would have it. I picked up 2 of the battery holders at Radio Shack for less than $5 today. I got home and put the batteries in and voila! Set to battery test position, turned up volume, and got nuttin'. It seems the connector on the wire portion is very brittle and the positive wire broke immediately. So, I will head back to the Shack (or somehow talk my wife into it;) and get the new connector soldered up. Any pointers with this machine?
After a couple attempts to place the new battery holder into the compartment on the 1280X, it appears that the Radio Shack item is approx. 1/8" longer than the OEM piece. A very (read too) tight fit. I will examine the detector battery compartment an see if some minor Dremel work will remedy the situation. Anyone else have a similar experience. Keep in mind this is a 1998 vintage 1280X but I don't think the critical dimensions have changed in that time span.

Dtektor

Weeeee! I finally got to the local Radio Shack again and picked up a package of 5 9volt connectors. Took them home and soldered on in place of the broken one. My only question now is "Are all the 1280X's this loud? I went out into the yard and scattered penny, dime, nickel, quarter on the ground and almost lost my hearing when I swung over one of them! I have the volume set at "1", the sensitivity around "5", and the disc around "6". I can already tell the difference between coins and trash. I get a broken staccato type signal on trash and nice clear tones on coins. I definitely need some help and practice on probing and digging, not to mention a much better tool than my wife's garden trowel (she will kill me if I bend it up). Thanks for all your advice and assistance.

Im in the same shoes as far as practice. But can help you with a good trowel. Home Depot has one made by Ames. Its sharp, has 1 inch measurements embedded from tip to end of handle. I have not been able to brake this one yet. $10 bucks. If your looking for top quality digging tool, try Predator Tools online. Good luck.

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
Most detectors are LOUD. If you use headphones you can get an inline volume control if they don't have the controls on them. Headphones will prolong battery life.

Dtektor

Most detectors are LOUD. If you use headphones you can get an inline volume control if they don't have the controls on them. Headphones will prolong battery life.
Thanks majakldragon. Unfortunately, the Fisher 1280X is a completely sealed unit due to depth capabilities (250 ft) so, you cannot remove the headphones or the coil. Still, I know there is plenty of extra volume should I progressively go deaf from using my detector!:)