Fisher M-Scope VLF 553D

I am looking for a source for parts for this older model detector. I need the tightening nut that holds the two portions of the handle/rod. The O ring deteriorated and I cannot find a replacement. The O rings at the hardware store don't quite fit. I called Fisher and they say they do not carry parts for detectors this old. But, even with the serial number they can't tell me when it was manufactured, so I am not sure the phone contact knew what he was talking about. SN 79-72116 they say was made either in the 80's or 90's, but who knows. I am surprised they don't have replacement parts if it was in fact made in the 80's or 90's. Their suggestion was to find a forum specializing in detector forums and ask around. I am looking for the brass nut that thightens the expandable rod, so you can set
the length and tighten it down. The unit still works ok, but the rod keeps sliding apart. I could use duck tape, but that makes it awkward if the spouse or grandaughter tries to use it.

I am looking for a source for parts for this older model detector. I need the tightening nut that holds the two portions of the handle/rod. The O ring deteriorated and I cannot find a replacement. The O rings at the hardware store don't quite fit. I called Fisher and they say they do not carry parts for detectors this old. But, even with the serial number they can't tell me when it was manufactured, so I am not sure the phone contact knew what he was talking about. SN 79-72116 they say was made either in the 80's or 90's, but who knows. I am surprised they don't have replacement parts if it was in fact made in the 80's or 90's. Their suggestion was to find a forum specializing in detector forums and ask around. I am looking for the brass nut that thightens the expandable rod, so you can set
the length and tighten it down. The unit still works ok, but the rod keeps sliding apart. I could use duck tape, but that makes it awkward if the spouse or grandaughter tries to use it.
Make that SN 78-72116 not 79-xxxxx