Found old bottles near my home!

JohnC

I went hiking along the river in the woods after good rain to just look for indian arrowheads but I noticed a few piece of glass. I inspected it and its old glass! I came back with my small shovel, long thin screwdriver, work glove and safe glasses! I cleaned up and most is broken glass. I found few nice old bottles but I bring home about 10 lbs of broken glass for recycled! This is not my first old bottles. I found few old bottles years ago in New York where I went to college! I found it during look for worms for bait to catch fish!

Attachments

JohnC

Heres 2 more bottles, dish, large clock ? key and piece of large bottle glass cap today! One bottle took me almost one hour to take time to take dirt and little rocks out until I got it! You can see photo of bottle in ground under root! I think someone dump it in area many years ago. Saw some junk iron metals seem to me is car's parts. Borrow two books from libary and I see that mold seam line on bottles that most I find is between 1900's and 1920's. One is between 1880 and 1890!

Attachments

JohnC

Nice hunt John! I also like that old key...There may be some coins there too...let us know. :cool:
I think about but that forest dont allow metal detector! If allowing then I would but lot of iron and junk metal in where I found. Maybe coins somewhere but I dont think in where I found old bottles. I can tell that years ago someone went in the woods and throw out garbage! Or maybe very old farm but I am not sure!

JohnC

Congrats on the nice bottles,, a lot of people would have or probably did walk right past that site,, WTG:cool:
Lot of people on bike path and I found my bottles is probably about 200 feet away in the woods. I am sure that some people pass and step on old bottles but hard to see it. Mostly cover from dirt, roots and rocks for years!

Megagold

I think about but that forest dont allow metal detector! If allowing then I would but lot of iron and junk metal in where I found. Maybe coins somewhere but I dont think in where I found old bottles. I can tell that years ago someone went in the woods and throw out garbage! Or maybe very old farm but I am not sure!
Well that's a bummer, no metal detector!...:rolleyes:But at least you found the bottles and who knows maybe some burried mason jars of old coins! Good luck!:)

JohnC

New law just last April! :( Windy City Metal Detector Store and location club is fighting and hope to change the law! I suggest them is special permit and no longer than 6 inch shovel! I found out that in the past that someone use large shovel and leave many large holes so thats why ban on metal detector! :(

Forest have lot of history as way back to indians time!

Doc dog

John cool finds,,the bottle on the right # 8 looks like an old ketchup bottle from when I was a kid.60 years ago ;)That key could be for an old gas heater,,,,OR a skate key for a GIANT pair of roller skates :)

JohnC

John cool finds,,the bottle on the right # 8 looks like an old ketchup bottle from when I was a kid.60 years ago ;)That key could be for an old gas heater,,,,OR a skate key for a GIANT pair of roller skates :)
Thats interesting! Look like an old ketchup bottle to me! Interesting about the key! Thanks! :)