Found something cool almost 20 years ago...

Speaking of Yard Sales, Thrift Shops and Dumpster diving...

Through the years, I've found some cool items that I've sold for much more. One of the more memorable things are some "cards" that I found in a dumpster and here's the story:

My wife and I got married in 1992 and moved to an apartment where we lived for the first 2 years. One day, I saw one of my neighbors carry some medium size cardbord boxes as he was walking towards the dumpster which was about 100 feet away, near the carports.

I was curious to see what he was "dumping" and when he finished, I went to take a look. To my surprise, it was 2-3 boxes full of sports Trading Cards !!

I haven't counted them but I estimate that there were 1000 or so cards from 1991-1992, Basketball cards, Baseball cards, Hockey cards, Car racing cards, Soccer cards and I have no idea why he would throw them away since they were in like new condition.

I took them out of the dumpster and put them in my garage where I was able to look thru them and put them in order.

There was Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Ken Griffith, Wayne Gretsky, Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith, a young Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds and many other popular players of those years.

I've never been into Trading Cards eventhough I tried learning. I've just kept them in a closet waiting for my son to grow and see if he'll be interested (some day)...

Not sure how much (if anything) they're worth but it was a nice find and I've had fun going thru them and seeing familiar sport player faces :)

Happy Hunting !!

gold-doubloon

Thanks guys ! My son is now 16, I've shown him the cards
a few times but he's not interested. I should probably do some
research to learn the value of these cards and how/ where to
sell them. It should be interesting...

EPC Guy

TQ Ambassador
Thanks guys ! My son is now 16, I've shown him the cards
a few times but he's not interested. I should probably do some
research to learn the value of these cards and how/ where to
sell them. It should be interesting...
I've come to believe that EVERYTHING is a collectible to someone - and everything has a resale value...I'll bet you'll be surprised and pleased at the amount of $$$ you'll get if you advertise them...

EBCIII

Awesome find! I would have to be checking out for some of them! Look for any Rookie Card of a player that did well, IE: Magic, Beale.

Awesome find! I would have to be checking out for some of them! Look for any Rookie Card of a player that did well, IE: Magic, Beale.
Right, the they say the rookie cards are worth more....less made I think before they are a big star and then they roll'em out like potato chips!

I had a Elvis Moody Blue Album, transparent blue...what a find!

WRONG!

They made a few black ones then changed to blue, so the plain BLACK ones are the ones to look for!

that's an amazing story because i had almost the exact same thing happen to me about 20yrs ago. saw a couple cards laying on the ground next to an apartment dumpster and just looked inside out of curiosity. there were hundreds of sports cards in there. entire sets and even several brand new, never opened packs like you would get from the store. i loaded 'em all up and took them home and now they are in a box in a closet where they've been for years.

Mich49

try taking them to a sports memorbilia store and see how much they would give you for them ?
it's worth a shot.
Thats what most people would do. However, thats where most get taken to the cleaners. I used to deal in cards. Most of those big boxes hold 5000 cards. Right now retail is about 3 cents per card. A dealer is only going to offer (if youre lucky) 1 cent ea or less. Because they are booked up with commons. See theyre buying them as commons from you the unsuspecting seller (true, you dont have anything into them other than picking them from a dumpster)..........What they arent going to tell you is.....

If theres a McGwire, Griffey Jr or other rookies in there. Or Gretzky or other cards worth $10/$50 or more. Some you mention are worth at least (if in mint cond) $1 each for the later cards for stars Jordans a good one, Usually any of the late cards of him are $1 or more. You really need to sort through them and pull the Key cards same as you would do with a coin collection. Especially if there are Insert cards which are randomly inserted, and can be worth $100s. As with coins, condition is everything. if the corners are bent, dog eared, cuts tears etc they arent generally worth anything. Unless they are old or of an older star (Say Joe Namath rookie, or a 1960s Mantle card).

You really need to look through and see what you have. Best of luck!