Garrett ADS Deepseeker question for the techs, handle toggle switch replacement?

nissn1

These beasts are getting old now , and quite often in need of service and replacement parts. I am in need of a new switch, the one that goes on the handle, its a ON/OFF/ON switch that centers itself, or momentary as it is called? , having trouble finding the correct size. Also is this switch a ON/OFF/ON or ON/ON/ON switch ?? I can find plenty of the smaller type toggle switches on ebay but just need to know the right one. :)

Last edited:

nissn1

Thanks i hope so! Also you can just see in the bottom photo of the circuit board ,top right hand corner has a leaky green capacitor, (2A104K) strangely enough it was easy to find one on ebay.

KRose

I had the exact Garett Deepseeker you have pictured. I found many of my relics with this detector. I can't answer your tech question on the switch but I'm sure someone can. Best of luck to you.

against the wind

Garrett has one the best after sales support teams there is. Give them a call and let them troubleshoot and rebuild that machine. I have an old AT3, and they still have parts.
Good luck.

nissn1

Will do that mate, i agree about Garretts U.S. after sales team, i have dealt with them before they even paid my shipping, puts our distributors here to shame!

Last edited:

nissn1

Well first post for the new year, happy 2019 detectorists! Must get out more this year, anyway i seem to be collecting more Garrett deepseekers, another one to the collection, i am pulling them all apart for a major clean of the circuit board and connectors etc justfor a freshen up,gives me something to do when not prospecting! Still waiting to hear from Garrett USA :-( oh well

KRose

Nissn1, Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I used a Garrett Deepseeker for a number of years. They were great metal detectors and built tough. I found a great part of my relic collection with the Deepseeker.

nissn1

Update on the ADS , I ended up selling the non worker for parts, i still have 3 ADS deepseekers working, all in various stages of modifacations, one has a tone control and hi/low volume added, another just tone control added and one stock standed. Its interesting comparing the three old detectors, all seem to function much the same ,same depth etc so i am guessing they are all working well. (i am not a tech) I prefer the ADS that has had the extra controls added as my favourite fwiw, not sure when that was done but nice to have the extras. I am still surprised at how well these old swingers work, not so good near the salt water or highly mineralised ground but they still go deep with the big coil. (y) I did end up replacing all the fasteners on the 3 ADS deepseekers with new stainless steel fasteners . If anyones interested in replacing the original cheesy metal fasteners ,the exact size of the fasteners that go around the case and the smaller front panel screws they are ,top 2 x acorn nuts that hold the handle on 3/16" UNF , outer case screws ,the ones that go rusty 10 x 6g (3.5mm) 1/4 inch Pan Head Phillips Self Tapping Tapper Screws which include the speaker , and the tiny inner panel screws 6 x G304 Stainless 4-40 UNC Imperial Coarse Pan Phillip Machine Screw BSW 3/16" :) I think it looks pretty good now, you can still see the rusty rivet holding the arm rest on, this is how all the fasteners looked when i purchased it , see last photo. This detector has not been sitting in a box , well used , very dirty ,with missing knobs and a few dead insects (spiders) inside the circuit board so it got the full service! By the way, a testament to Charles L Garrett ! inventor, entrepreneur, treasure hunter! RIP

Last edited:

KRose

nissn1, Great pic's. This looks exactly like the Garrett Deepseeker I had. Let me tell you a little story if I may about how well these models were built. I posted this once awhile back, if you read it, I apologize. I will keep it as short as I can. Years ago a buddy of mine and myself were hunting in an area in West Atlanta. We were a good ways from our trucks when we suddenly got caught in a serious downpour. I had nothing to cover my detector with but I kept it covered as much as possible trying to keep under the trees as best we could making our way back to the parking lot. The rain had finally stopped by the time we reached our vehicles, but all was soaking wet. I did a test on my detector to check it out before putting it in the truck. I cut the MD on and it made an awful noise, one that I remember to this day. My first thought was that I had fried the Deepseeker. I l removed one of the screws to the battery cover and slid the cover to the side. I held the unit up and water literally poured from inside of the detector. I again figured the MD to be ruined. I removed the battery tray and wiped it down best I could before the trip back home. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I took my time and dried the inside of the detector out with a blow drier. I removed the batteries from the tray and did the same thing. Result was after all this, I would use the Deepseeker for about another 6 years. It worked good as new. Garrett built quality detectors then, and still do to this day. After this, I included an extra large trash bag in my pack. You don't need one if you have a waterproof detector, but I don't own one. I'm still a land hunter.