Garrett GTA 500.......

Does anyone use the GTA 500?? I purchased mine new in 1991, but really didn't use it much. This year I plan on getting out alot more with it, as it is still like new and seems to work pretty well for me. I don't know if the 500 is still made or not, but I was just curious to know if anyone uses the 500 and how well you are doing with it.

Loadmaster (Ed)

Hello Ed I got a 550 gtax as far as I know they dont make the 500 anymore I think the 550 took its place but dont quote me on that. Anyway the 550 works very well for me I bought it new in 2004 and have had no problem with it. The machine has paid for itself with all my finds. Hope this helps you a little if you got any more ?s feel free to ask me I will try to help. I'll tell you what I know. That wont take long. Have a good one and good luck. JW

Gta 500.......

Hi JW, thanks for your reply. Alot of our family members here at TQ are finding alot of rings. I found one cheap silver ring many years ago and I don't recall how it read on my ID...so I went out a couple days ago and put a silver ring and a gold ring on the ground. The gold (in all metal mode) hit as a solid nickel and the silver hit as solid foil on the ID. In coin mode I got no response at all. My 500 only has the two modes, all metal or coin. I guess that depending on my hunting location, I will continue to hunt in all metal mode and dig all signals and sooner or later will hit on a better ring. How many modes do you have with your 550?? Are you finding any rings?? Thanks, JW and best of luck with your finds.:bthumb:

Loadmaster (Ed)

Hello Ed I got 2 modes on my 550same as you does your machine acept and reject. Mine has a button that says that. If so you can customize either mode by using this button. I have found a few rings and other jewlrey but I try to hunt old places for coins and relics. But if you dig all signals you are right you will get a better ring but your going to dig alot of trash especially pull tabs. If I remember right thats what silver rings read as on my machine. Good luck with you machine Ed its been a pleasure talking to you hope I helped a little and if you got any more ?s send them my way and I'll do my best. Good luck.:wave:

Gta 500.......

Hi again, JW.

Thanks again for your reply. No, my 500 does not have an "accept/reject" button. That must have been an upgrade turning the 500 into the 550. I think you're right.....I'll just have to continue to dig those tabs and sooner or later the rings will come. Thanks again, JW and best of luck with your finds.:smile:

Loadmaster (Ed)

Loadmaster said:
Hi again, JW.

Thanks again for your reply. No, my 500 does not have an "accept/reject" button. That must have been an upgrade turning the 500 into the 550. I think you're right.....I'll just have to continue to dig those tabs and sooner or later the rings will come. Thanks again, JW and best of luck with your finds.:smile:

Loadmaster (Ed)
Hi Ed,
I have a 500 and use it on the B mode, the A mode is for steel
In the B mode I find mostly coins and rings....u can get a reading in A for a ring ....and I am sure that u would have the A/R button....it is actually labled DISC (set DISC on/off).
What I want to know is how is the battery pack holder removed :banghead:

Cheers Buggz

Battery doors.......

Hi Buggz,
The battery doors are located at the far end of the arm rest on either side of the headphone plug. Simply push up with your thumb on each door and they will open. I use quality batteries and have found that they last for a very long time.

I need to play with my disc button some more. I have owned my '500' since 1992, but have not really used it much until this year. Still have a few things to learn.......

Let me know if your battery holders are cracked. Mine cracked and a little super glue took care of the problem. Hope I was of some help to you.

Loadmaster (Ed)

Hi Loadmaster, thanks for that....but I didn't make myself clear....Apparently the green oblong box that holds the batts. can be detached from the bar.

Been out today, got a few coins, an old insulator and a kids cap gun....but it was just out the back of my home. Had fun

Cheers Buggz :wink:

Sorry....

OK, Buggz

Sorry I misunderstood. Put four fingers between the battery pack and the ground brace and "pull" the battery pack to the rear. It may be a little hard, but it will pull off. Then unscrew the four screws and you have it stripped down.

Sounds like you had a good hunt. I enjoy finding those old toys.......

Well, hope this time I was of some help.......

Loadmaster (Ed)

Yeah thanks...Apparently it is to save weight on an all-dayer, put the batteries in a ruck-sack or shoulder bag although I suspect that this will unbalance the whole shebang

Cheers Buggz