Garrett 'Master Hunter CX III' ?

Can anyone tell me anything about this particular unit? I've got a friend interested in selling his and I'd like to upgrade from my Ace 250. My main interests are coin hunting and salt water beaches. Does this unit do both well? I don't think it's a new unit as I was told the instuctions come with a VHS tape (not a DVD).

Thanks a lot!:wavey:

westattam,
Is it a Grand Master CX III? If so, I think it may be one like a friend of mine had. Here is a link to the Review about it. Lost Treasure Online- Field Test
The unit is probably around 10 to 14 years old, but it may be newer. Its a good detector, and still is. Just because it old don't mean its no good. I myself have a Whites Eagle Spectrum that it 14 years old and I still find nice finds. I will still seek just as deep as the newer detectors, except for the Minelabs and the Tesro Tejon, they got a couple inches on it. The Grand master will compare to my Whites. Hope this helps some.
LR

Although I loved the CXIII for it's capabilities, I found that I never got much more than 5 inches deep. I am now going over the same areas I hit with the ACE 250, and the White's DFX and I am finding all of the things i missed using the CXIII.

IMHO, the technology has changed A LOT since the CXIII was introduced in 1992. Invest in a machine made in the last 3 or 4 years at the most, or by a new ACE 250 for around $200 and you are better off.

Still Diggin

Can anyone tell me anything about this particular unit? I've got a friend interested in selling his and I'd like to upgrade from my Ace 250. My main interests are coin hunting and salt water beaches. Does this unit do both well? I don't think it's a new unit as I was told the instuctions come with a VHS tape (not a DVD).

Thanks a lot!:wavey:
I have been using the CX3 for 18 years. I used it today and most everyday. Goes deep and most of the time is right on the money. I hunt with a friend that uses the F-75 and the only thing I can see is that the recovery time is quicker. So he goes fast and misses things anyway. If you can get a deal on it, buy it. I would say 3 or 4 hundred price range. Thanks , S.D.

Still Diggin

Buy it if you get a good deal. Use one everyday. Very good on coins and relics. Have had mine to Fla. in the sand and no problem. It has a beach mode. First thing to do is turn off that stupid treasure talk, a womens voice telling you things you already know. S.D.

I am getting back into detecting after several years of poor health. Just before I became sick I had sent my CXIII to Garrett for a Tune Up. They replaced the coil and gave me a great deal on a Super Sniper coil that I have yet to use. It is a bit heavy after swinging for an hour or so, but I am modifying a AR 15 sling that I have and I think it will work fine. I have always had great luck with mine. Depth has never been an issue for the one I have. The tech said that he thought I would really like how it operated after the "tune up" so I am looking forward to getting it out and swinging it again.
NCH

against the wind

I still have my Grand Master CXIII. The last time I was out with it,,, was May, 2012. Then in June,, The AT PRO made it's way into my arsenal and has become my number one detector:cool:

I have a Grand master hunter CXIII and it is one of the best detectors garrett has ever made. I bought mine for 250 dollars and bought two new coils, an 8 inch and a twelve inch for deep seeking. if you can get it for my price, buy it. Don"t pay more than 350 for it. even though it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.