Gold In Texas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProspectingTexas, Jul 28, 2008.

1. ProspectingTexas

ProspectingTexas New Member

I was just wondering if gold is found in Texas? I'm new, so go easy on me:smile: Yarrr *pirate exit*

2. EPC Guy

EPC Guy TQ Ambassador

Writer, Consultant, Speaker, and Pirate
    Howdy and welcome to TQ! Gold has been found in nearly every state in the country including Texas - although Texas is near the bottom of the list in terms of actual gold production and recovery. Depending where you're located in Texas - New Mexico and Colorado would probably offer a higher level of success in terms of prospecting.

I'm just beginning to get into prospecting / panning / nugget shooting myself and have been doing a bit of research on the subject, and several good books on the subject can be found. I'm currently reading "Gold Panning is Easy" by Roy Lagal - the book not only talks about and illustrates proper panning, sluicing and Md'ing techniques, but goes into quite a bit of detail about the places that will offer the highest chances of success for beginners in locating spots that will actually produce.

Hope this helps...

3. homefire

homefire Well-Known Member

Welcome to the TQ from Southern New Mexico!

Where are you in the Lone State?

Like EPC stated, Texas an't high on the list! Your welcome to come to New Mexico if you like!:biggrin:

Gold is Where You Find It - DesertUSA

4. ProspectingTexas

ProspectingTexas New Member

Re:

I'm in Abilene. I've heard somewhere that Fredricksburg Texas has some near the Enchanted Rock area, but not sure if that's true...Thanks for the info!

5. EPC Guy

EPC Guy TQ Ambassador

Writer, Consultant, Speaker, and Pirate
    Just thought of something....a gentleman by the name of John Tomlinson is in Sweetwater...he sells metal detectors and accessories and has a lot of knowledge about TH'ing in Texas...you can probably find his contact info here on the TQ members list or Google "metal detectors Sweetwater, Texas"

Good luck!

6. warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy Active Member

Retired
    They find gold in the Ilano River.Go to this site and they will have a gpaa chapter in texas contact.Also,what EPC said about John is a great lead.Real nice person.

7. warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy Active Member

Retired
    Here is another site that has some pics of guys on the Illano.

Yahoo! Groups

8. Hawk

Hawk Member

Hey ProspectingTexas,

There looks to be a good number of GPAA Chapters in Texas. Hook up with one of them and your learning curve will shoot up. Some good folks and knowledge to be gained. 4 of the 7 chapters listed have web pages you can check out. Gold Prospectors Association of America - Chapters

I've communicated over the years with some folks out there that have worked the Llano River. The gold is fine gold, but it is there. If you get good at panning that color, anywhere else you go should be a breeze for you. :smile:

Hawk

9. coreyb529

coreyb529 New Member

USAF
    The Slab and Long's Fish and Dig

I am from Abilene, TX and I saw a Gold Fever show that was filmed at Long's Fish in Diggins near Kingsland, TX. It is right outside Llano. I figured I would try it out and went down there a few weeks ago. You have to pay $20.00 if you go to Long's to prospect. There is also a place a few miles away called The Slab that is free to prospect just down the river from the Long's property. I didn't find any gold but did get a lot of black sand. All I had at the time was a standard metal detector and a gold pan. Next time I go I will get a metal detector made for finding gold and a sleuce box. The water was crystal clear and beautiful. I really enjoyed being there. Next time I plan to take my family as well. There are plenty of pools of water on the river to walk through and fish as well. I believe a guy with the Llano GPAA has a permit to prospect 3700 feet on the upper side of the stream and even more land on the lower side. If you have any questions I would contact the Llano GPAA. Good Luck.

Corey Bolden

10. bloodyknees

bloodyknees Member

semi-retired
    I,m in north central Texas and just remembered that there used to be (maybe still is) a company in Bowie, Texas (Bowie sand and gravel) that has a small amount of gold in the pit they dig. Between Ft Worth and Witchita Falls there is a section of US HWY 287 that has a historical marker that says "Highway paved with gold" They used sand from this in the concrete when building the highway. Ofcourse it also says there is so little gold it is not worth mining.
    Al

11. homefire

homefire Well-Known Member

Gold was not $1000.00 a oz back then!:alcoholic

12. chucktx8

chucktx8 Member

Lets Go For the gold

I am packing to go for the gold in Greaterville AZ. Have never hunted there, Leaving from Dallas,TX.?? Wife says no way, she wont go anywhere with out a bathroom. Will be pore boying it. camping in a 10 ft. covered trailer.
    I have a high fever (gold fever) Got to search for the cure.
    Chuck

13. hoos122

hoos122 Active Member

Landscape Estimator/Owner
    Go get it Chuck!! :bthumb: Good Luck... Safe travels!!

Hoos

14. beaks

beaks Member

birds(everything from medical to rescue)
    The slab is earls claim and he doesnt mind people prospecting there as long as they take out their trash and stay off the banks because the banks are private property.

if you want to dredge there you will have to ask him for permission first and he does check the place from time to time so dont dredge without permission unless you like jail.

15. tom duley

tom duley Active Member

Verizon cable splicer
    I live just outside Llano, Texas the gold is very fine and not sure if a MD will pick it up. There is a rock shop on the west side of the Llano Court House square that is where you can get all the info about the places the Llano GPAA has claims and who to contact to prospect hope this helps :bthumb:

16. LizardsKeep

LizardsKeep Well-Known Member

Playing in the street
    I believe it would be easier and more productive just to save your aluminum beaver tails. Just saying. :multi:

17. chucktx8

chucktx8 Member

Back from Greaterville,AZ

Greaterville was a total washout, did not do my home work thinking I could hook up with some friends who were known to gravitate to the local bar, there was one there that was famous for the atmosphere( Rough) that they were known to enjoy. In my younger days I was known to visit a few rough ones, rougher the better but that one was no place for a old fart like me. My friends were not there so i made a u turn & got on the road I came in on & got out of there. back to the Trigos where I new my way around. I didn't pay for my trip with the gold I found ( 53 tiny bits with the Gold Bug )
    That covered trailer was a was out, ( $ 3000 down the drain) Gracie has got me complete dependent, I dint seem to be able to do any thing for my self any more.
    I made 2, 6 mo. (without that O woman) trips to W. Australia, slept in a little station wagon, cooked over a open fire, stayed lost all the time I was there & found gold, with no problems. I was a lot younger then, 75.
    I learned one thing,, Not to go any where with out that O woman.
    Good luck in your serch,,, Take Care,,,,,Chuck

Attached Files: