ground balance

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
Welcome to TQ.
It really depends on the mineralization and ground makeup. What I do is use auto ground balance in a clear area with readings to allow it to balance itself. Then I lower the number 2 points. IF your targets aren't reading somewhat correctly ground balance it again in a different area. The area must be free of targets so the onboard computer can correctly set itself. IF you ground balance over a target it will skew the readings.

Thank you for your advice but what should it read when it's balanced, mine keeps saying hot rock and -92 vdi is that because there is a target under the coil

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
I'm not sure what your location is but you may be hunting in highly mineralized soils. Is there any tone sounding off if you swing the coil without balancing it?

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
Move to a different location. If you're over a hot rock or swinging over mineralized soil you will have trouble finding a consistent target If you keep having trouble you will have to hunt only by tone. Dig everything that sounds off and pay very close attention to the sound it makes. After a while of doing this you will be able to tell a good target from a bad one and mostly only dig the good. Also you might try canceling out(disc out) iron while holding the coil in the air. Then try swinging it to see what you find.

Move to a different location. If you're over a hot rock or swinging over mineralized soil you will have trouble finding a consistent target If you keep having trouble you will have to hunt only by tone. Dig everything that sounds off and pay very close attention to the sound it makes. After a while of doing this you will be able to tell a good target from a bad one and mostly only dig the good. Also you might try canceling out(disc out) iron while holding the coil in the air. Then try swinging it to see what you find.
Thank you very much i love my MXT, i had the spectrum xlt and it was too complicated. Since ive been using the MXT i have found a lot of clad, and three ladies compacts from the 40s and fifties, just love it, and again thank you for all of your advice! !!!!