Happy Thanksgiving To All

Ed, (better late than never), I hope you and Sue and the whole FAMILY here at TQ had a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving. I enjoyed the pic'x. I saw Plymouth Rock years ago when I was about 12 or 13 years old. As the Indians used to say, (Many moons ago Lol).
l
Image (41).jpg

Kevin...….you say you visited Plymouth when you were 12 or 13. By coincidence my first trip to Plymouth was in 1959 when I was 13. Here's a few photos of that day. I'm the goofy looking kid in the striped shirt, the smaller kids are my brothers and the taller kid was my best friend at the time. The Mayflower II is in one of the pics. It sailed from England to Plymouth back in 1957 and has been there ever since. It's currently in Mystic Seaport for repairs and renovations because they want it in tip-top shape for the 400th anniversary celebration of the Pilgrims landing in Plymouth back in 1620. I posted some photos back in October in the Digital Camera forum of the trip Sue and I took to Provincetown and Plymouth. The town has changed a lot since 1959, being more developed with restaurants and hotels but is still a nice place to visit.

KRose

Great pig's Ed. We toured the Mayflower too back in the same trip. It must have been in or around 1968 or 69. I can remember this same trip when we went into a restaurant around where the Mayflower was docked for breakfast. My Dad asked the waitress if they had any grits. The waitress smiled and returned with the manager a short time later. She asked my Dad to ask the manager the same thing he had asked her. Upon hearing the question, both the manager and waitress broke into a laugh. No, we have scrabble came the reply. We were asked where we were from. We told them we were from Georgia and they looked at us as if lobsters were crawling from our ears. I reckon they thought we talked funny.

Last edited:

DigsNW

As I grow older I let more thing pass that I would have made a smart remark about years ago. I realize people’s accents are different but who are we to make fun of them as we have an accent to them. None of us think we have an accent but most of us do.
I hear Plymouth Rock was really probably never seen by the pilgrims and may not even be where the landed but it is good to have monuments so we can and remember. I would like that field trip.

As I grow older I let more thing pass that I would have made a smart remark about years ago. I realize people’s accents are different but who are we to make fun of them as we have an accent to them. None of us think we have an accent but most of us do.
I hear Plymouth Rock was really probably never seen by the pilgrims and may not even be where the landed but it is good to have monuments so we can and remember. I would like that field trip.
The rock on display is simply a symbol. There's no way to tell which rock they first stepped on when they landed in Plymouth. As for the accents.....Back in the 1980's I was on vacation in Virginia and one of the locals made mention of my "accent".

Many years ago my family was on a trip down south and they stopped at a McDonalds . My dad asked for a coffee shake, the clerk looked at dad like he had lost his mind. She poured a cup of coffee and proceeded to shake it before giving it to my dad. What he wanted was what some places call a frappe.

DigsNW

Many years ago my family was on a trip down south and they stopped at a McDonalds . My dad asked for a coffee shake, the clerk looked at dad like he had lost his mind. She poured a cup of coffee and proceeded to shake it before giving it to my dad. What he wanted was what some places call a frappe.
I have never heard of a coffee shake until now. That’s one that won’t get by me now.

KRose

One of my close friends when I was in the service was a New Englander from Boston, Massachusetts. He and another friend from Texas and myself rented a 3 room trailer out in town for a while and away from the barracks. Things could sometimes get interesting. Lol A Texan, A New Englander, and a Georgian under the same roof. My friend from Boston would tell me more than once: " Rose, youse' guys down South don't know how to talk". I would reply that obviously there are no tape recorder in Boston and youse' guys aren't familiar with playback and have never heard yourselves speak. Hee. We had a lot of fun.

Great pig's Ed. We toured the Mayflower too back in the same trip. It must have been in or around 1968 or 69. I can remember this same trip when we went into a restaurant around where the Mayflower was docked for breakfast. My Dad asked the waitress if they had any grits. The waitress smiled and returned with the manager a short time later. She asked my Dad to ask the manager the same thing he had asked her. Upon hearing the question, both the manager and waitress broke into a laugh. No, we have scrabble came the reply. We were asked where we were from. We told them we were from Georgia and they looked at us as if lobsters were crawling from our ears. I reckon they thought we talked funny.
Lobsters crawling out of your ears? That would be worse than shooting your eye out :)

Some places call them "cabinets". Good thing he didn't order a "grinder"....in places they're called subs, submarine sandwiches, torpedoes, or hoagies. That would have really gotten some stares.

One of my close friends when I was in the service was a New Englander from Boston, Massachusetts. He and another friend from Texas and myself rented a 3 room trailer out in town for a while and away from the barracks. Things could sometimes get interesting. Lol A Texan, A New Englander, and a Georgian under the same roof. My friend from Boston would tell me more than once: " Rose, youse' guys down South don't know how to talk". I would reply that obviously there are no tape recorder in Boston and youse' guys aren't familiar with playback and have never heard yourselves speak. Hee. We had a lot of fun.
You have the makings of a great joke...........A Texan, a Georgian, and a New Englander walk into a bar.......you'll have to fill in the punchline. :p

Reminds me of the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" when Joe Pesci was in court and referred to the "yutes".
Usually "youse"" guys is a New York accent........in Boston a fifty cent piece is a "HAHF DAWLER".

KRose

Reminds me of the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" when Joe Pesci was in court and referred to the "yutes".
Usually "youse"" guys is a New York accent........in Boston a fifty cent piece is a "HAHF DAWLER".
That was a great movie. I'm a big Joe Pesci fan. This movie was filmed in Monticello, A town located just next to us down the road a bit. The courthouse in the movie is the Jasper County courthouse. Our son now lives in Jasper County.