Help. Newbie

I just bought the Ace 300. I am having a hell of a time finding anything after signals. I sometimes dig 14" to no avail. I have an extreme amount of false positives. I get a strong signal, start digging, and it goes away. Very frustrating. I am digging in an area that has power lines around it. Is it a sensitivity problem? I have read the manual and to me it's not clear. How should it be set? And how high a number on a signal should cause me excitement to dig. 40-50-90? I watch these videos and when they get a signal they pull out a small trowel and find a gold coin. LOL. I know it's not that easy, they are looking for subscribers, but I could use any advice. Thanks in advance.

bwanaclyde56

Sounds like the sensitivity might be set too high. Try backing it off a little. Also and this may sound obvious, make sure you are not wearing steel toed shoes, lol, I've been detecting since 1975 and believe me I managed to make that mistake a few years ago. I thought my machine was acting up and headed home early only to realize my bone headed mistake.

Sounds like the sensitivity might be set too high. Try backing it off a little. Also and this may sound obvious, make sure you are not wearing steel toed shoes, lol, I've been detecting since 1975 and believe me I managed to make that mistake a few years ago. I thought my machine was acting up and headed home early only to realize my bone headed mistake.
LOL. That makes sense. No, I just had old loafers on. I will try the sensitivity approach. Thanks so much for responding.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
Like others have stated.....your sensitivity might be set too high. Try using it two or even three notches from maximum. Also,
it's possible that when you dig 14 inches deep and there's nothing there you may have pinpointed incorrectly and also possibly you've detected a huge piece of junk metal such as iron that is extremely deep. A huge chunk of iron will ring up in the "good" range and show up as shallow on your depth meter. The 300 is an updated version of the 250 and the 250 was notorious for sounding off on hot rocks which give a false signal. If you're getting a good solid repeatable signal in the 75-87 range it should most likely be a good target and relatively easy to dig up.