home made water scoop help.

backwater52

I found this SS grill today and it told me to make a scoop put of it:) 20180725_191040.jpg i could have it bent maybe but thought i could use a 6" pipe for a form and wrap it around it, . i'd cut slots in the short back wall, once it's shaped i have another piece for the back. then i have to come up with the top that will take the handle. Any idea's welcome, it's 11 1/4" x 14 1/2
20180725_191105.jpg

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
I think I would also just buy one already made up. When I started water hunting years ago u made a scoop out of PVC. It works but was very heavy. I ended up getting a aluminum one which was lighter and better made. I would go that route

backwater52

Well the plan is to find jewelery at a few old swimming beaches out to waist deep. Once i'm done with those i wont have use for it . If the shaping go's well will keep at it, i have access to a major junk collectors place so might find something better or the handle conection. Thanks.

DigsNW

For mine I made, I made a wooden handle and bolted it on from the inside if I remember correctly.
I understand wanting g to make it yourself. I have made a couple and started a other out of an old SS strainer basket from work. Good luck and have fun.

mtbricky

Looks like that material is too light gauge for an underwater shovel scoop (is it stainless?), and the holes are too small and too far apart for a light weight dry sand scoop. It would likely work in the shallows where you could use water to flush the sand out - and it would definitely hold on to small targets. Weld a couple U bolts onto the basket and use a wood handle.

DBQ Dave

I know you like your projects as do I but I agree the holes are too far apart and the sand will take a long time to sift out of it even if you shake it.

I found this SS grill today and it told me to make a scoop put of it:) View attachment 101467 i could have it bent maybe but thought i could use a 6" pipe for a form and wrap it around it, . i'd cut slots in the short back wall, once it's shaped i have another piece for the back. then i have to come up with the top that will take the handle. Any idea's welcome, it's 11 1/4" x 14 1/2 View attachment 101468
I would use this stainless steel kitchen utensil holder then use 2 uclamps at the end with a wood handle

Attachments