Hunting parks - your opinions please.

sandfisher

I'm mostly curious on what people normally find in a park.
Traditionally I have hunted beaches, because it is so relaxing.. Even though I usually didn't find alot.

One month ago I started detecting in a park. It is old, alot of interesting history and close to home.
Didn't know what to expect. Been out there about 9 times. Very happy with what I have found.
1881 Indian head penny, a bullet( I think it is more modern than I originally thought), over 130 coins, 2 buttons, 5 keys, triple all that or more in beer cans and pull tabs :rolleyes:, .
But what I didn't expect so much of is a ton of little pieces of metal. Silvery looking and I think much of it lead. And pieces of, well like what is in the picture. And that is a small protion of those time items I have found. My detector doesn't stop sounding when I am out there. There is still alot to dig.
I have heard the park was filled in in certain areas. Maybe that's where alot of this weird stuff comes from.
Over all, Iv'e spent 99% of my time in a certain small area of trees.
Maybe 10% of the park or less I have hunted so far.
What I'm curious about from members is this.

What do you guys normally find in parks? This much varied stuff?

Curious.

sandfisher

Attachments

EBCIII

Parks!! Oh the Joy and agony!! You can and will find anything! Like Kevin said! I like Parks have dug in quite a few. Found that or me at least I do better if I try to find the ball fields. Then imagine where the people might sit during a game. Look for spots that look like good picnic spots. I found out after spending a ton of time in the trees of one park in my old home town? That part had been a old town dump covered over, Beale.

sandfisher

Welcome to my world,,, looking at some of the targets that you dug,, I would think that you are hunting in some of my parks. lol
The metal particles may be what we call,, can slaw. Cans that have gotten shredded by a lawn mower.
Congrats on the Indian Head penny. I'm still looking for my first. What machine are you using?:cool:
Whites Eagle Spectrum.
Alot of my coins look like the shreddded cans. They're very cut up.

sandfisher

against the wind

Well,, I don't know about the kitchen sink but I have recovered a sink drain plug. It can be a little more physically challenging than sinking a scoop in the dry sand.
I get a decent workout in the surf in the summer but digging dirt is different. No matter how much I discriminate, I'm still going to dig up brass keys, and large targets , just like you.

sandfisher

Parks!! Oh the Joy and agony!! You can and will find anything! Like Kevin said! I like Parks have dug in quite a few. Found that or me at least I do better if I try to find the ball fields. Then imagine where the people might sit during a game. Look for spots that look like good picnic spots. I found out after spending a ton of time in the trees of one park in my old home town? That part had been a old town dump covered over, Beale.
Havne't found much directly under the trees.
But nobody picnics here these days. This park is kind of a ghost town.
Another detector researched it and said there was a Civil war camp. It's close to high school where they have dug Civil War artifacts. There used to be a mansion here but that is now covered by a water plant put there in the 70's. It used to host concerts nightly during the 60's and the band 13th Floor Elevators were at the mansion and park alot. But part of that is under the water plant.
Not too long ago this park hosted rival gangs. It was a bad place. Cleaned up now. But few people. A few people fishing in the bayou, maybe one family paling , mostly a few people ditching work to smoke pot, sometimes soccer at night. So I can be there with the park to myself at many points.
But the police are there alot. Sometimes as many 6-8 cars stopping by, so I feel safe.
The tennis court is completely wasted.
It's a shame. It is a nice place and runs along 225 here in Pasadena. The park has slight hills and nice trees.

sandfisher

sandfisher

Well,, I don't know about the kitchen sink but I have recovered a sink drain plug. It can be a little more physically challenging than sinking a scoop in the dry sand.
I get a decent workout in the surf in the summer but digging dirt is different. No matter how much I discriminate, I'm still going to dig up brass keys, and large targets , just like you.
I'm mostly using the Jewelry/Coin mode and turning the discrimination all the way up and digging everything.
Quite a few times coins are in the same hole as a pull tab. Makes for the odd signal. I just have a bucket set out to toss the junk.

sandfisher

The way i usually hunt parks is go around and cherry pic first, then ill go back and dig all the iffy signals, like nickel signals that always turn up to be little pieces of pop tabs. Also those iffy high tones. I would invest in a small dd coil if u dont have one already, sounds like u could really use one for all the trash. Whites makes a 4x6 for ur machine i believe. Can also get the Sef coils. Think u can get a 6x8 sef. Will be like getting a new metal detector in the trashy areas!

sandfisher

The way i usually hunt parks is go around and cherry pic first, then ill go back and dig all the iffy signals, like nickel signals that always turn up to be little pieces of pop tabs. Also those iffy high tones. I would invest in a small dd coil if u dont have one already, sounds like u could really use one for all the trash. Whites makes a 4x6 for ur machine i believe. Can also get the Sef coils. Think u can get a 6x8 sef. Will be like getting a new metal detector in the trashy areas!
I start out digging each signal. Usually after an hour I just dig what I think is a better target or what i know is a coin.
Although You never know. Pennies are usually around 67 on my detector. But the 1881 penny showed as 55.4

I have a larger DD coil that I used to use on my Garrett. I'll check out what you are talking about. Because I am picking up multiple targets at once and that messes with the signal alot.

Thank you,
sandfisher

whitewill_1

I start out digging each signal. Usually after an hour I just dig what I think is a better target or what i know is a coin.
Although You never know. Pennies are usually around 67 on my detector. But the 1881 penny showed as 55.4

I have a larger DD coil that I used to use on my Garrett. I'll check out what you are talking about. Because I am picking up multiple targets at once and that messes with the signal alot.

Thank you,
sandfisher
The indians will ID lower than regular copper pennies.

KRose

Let's see.....what do I usually find in parks around here where I live? Well, since asked I'll tell you. I usually find that around town here folks can't mind their own Flippin' Business. They call the Cops to us PRONTO as if we are some deranged escaped serial killer. I've never seen anything like it......how some folks seem to take immense Pleasure in raining on other folks parade. I usually find that I spend more time loading up my equipment than I do actually hunting due to some Egg Heads. I don't get to hunt many parks around here due to this. Very Frustrating to say the least. I'm glad for you folks that do have this opportunity and get the chance to hunt the parks. All the Power to You and Best of Luck.:(:mad::mad: :):):):):):)

whitewill_1

Let's see.....what do I usually find in parks around here where I live? Well, since asked I'll tell you. I usually find that around town here folks can't mind their own Flippin' Business. They call the Cops to us PRONTO as if we are some deranged escaped serial killer. I've never seen anything like it......how some folks seem to take immense Pleasure in raining on other folks parade. I usually find that I spend more time loading up my equipment than I do actually hunting due to some Egg Heads. I don't get to hunt many parks around here due to this. Very Frustrating to say the least. I'm glad for you folks that do have this opportunity and get the chance to hunt the parks. All the Power to You and Best of Luck.:(:mad::mad: :):):):):):)
That's terrible. Is it illegal to hunt parks there? I have seen regular people, park workers, and police while detecting. No one has ever said a bad word to me.

KRose

That's terrible. Is it illegal to hunt parks there? I have seen regular people, park workers, and police while detecting. No one has ever said a bad word to me.
Good for you Will. Down here, I don't know if its something in the water, or if folks just enjoy trying to ruin anothers good time. It happens every time I try to hunt a park here. I can plan on being there about 15 minutes to about a half an hour before I'm run out. As Andy Griffith would say: "That just Beats All". That is the nicer version. I really don't understand it.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
I do like the beach/sand hunt....but that is in the sumer..We do hunt parks, and schools that are not locked up..Have found Bling, silver, slaw, tokens, and all kinds of goodies..you never know. Kids will bring stuff and lose what they bring most times..I too would cherry pick and go back and dig the iffy signals..My last silver find was a 1899 silver quarter in a corner of a busy tot lot in a park..have been back looking for more 4 different times and that might be it..silver is hard to find in my area..we most times have to travel and hunt places...Sometimes you find the goodies, and sometimes not..been to a few places where we would have thought there would be all kinds of old stuff and found nothing..and then the places you think would't have stuff produce..it's all good..still like to dig dirt and will till i can't get down on my kness anymore...Sad to say the schools are locked up at most sites around me...but we will travel and see what is open..As for KRose..your situation is bad..I would think they will close are areas someday too..but till then, I will hunt on...Chuck...:)

KRose

I do like the beach/sand hunt....but that is in the sumer..We do hunt parks, and schools that are not locked up..Have found Bling, silver, slaw, tokens, and all kinds of goodies..you never know. Kids will bring stuff and lose what they bring most times..I too would cherry pick and go back and dig the iffy signals..My last silver find was a 1899 silver quarter in a corner of a busy tot lot in a park..have been back looking for more 4 different times and that might be it..silver is hard to find in my area..we most times have to travel and hunt places...Sometimes you find the goodies, and sometimes not..been to a few places where we would have thought there would be all kinds of old stuff and found nothing..and then the places you think would't have stuff produce..it's all good..still like to dig dirt and will till i can't get down on my kness anymore...Sad to say the schools are locked up at most sites around me...but we will travel and see what is open..As for KRose..your situation is bad..I would think they will close are areas someday too..but till then, I will hunt on...Chuck...:)
Keep on Keepin' on.