I got my exercise in for a month!

fyrffytr1

Thursday I hand laid about 2.5 tons of centipede grass sod, then Friday afternoon I helped two friends dig a mid 1700s trash pit in a farm field. Not bad for a 68 year old man!
The pit was about 4 feet deep and almost 6 feet around. It didn't yield much though. A lot of animal bones, broken pottery and rum bottles, small pieces of copper and iron. We did get a trade ax, engraved butt plate from a flintlock rifle and a few rolled copper points as well as a couple steel cone points. There are at least two or more trash pits at each hut site and we have located 25 huts so far. But, this is not the time of year to be digging them. That is a winter job. It's almost time to get in the creeks and look for artifacts.
I'll try to get some pictures when I see my buddies again.

KRose

Arthur came and paid me a visit the other day while doing some yard work. You may have heard of him, Arthur Itis. I have said it once and I'll say it again, getting older is Not for sissy's. I hope none of you personally know Arthur. Be careful out there. Some times we get a little hard headed and don't want to admit that we are getting older and that we aren't as young as we once were. When I seem to forget and overdo, my body has an abrupt way of reminding me in a way that I suddenly remember.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Since I started wearing a Fitbit I got my best day today. Right now I am at 30,700 steps and could get to 31,000 before I go to bed. I made a new flower bed and finished up an existing one.
K, I know what you are talking about. My knees are about gone. I just drop to the ground when I need to but really struggle to get back up! You know the line "Help, I fell and can't get up!" When I detect and get down to dig a signal I scan as far as I can reach with mt Deus before I get back up. It's easier to crawl!

draaiorgel

Hey I know what it's like guys.
I've been attending the nurse for around 10-12 weeks now, at last it's healing up.
I managed to punch a hole in very old skin grafts.
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif
52.gif

KRose

Since I started wearing a Fitbit I got my best day today. Right now I am at 30,700 steps and could get to 31,000 before I go to bed. I made a new flower bed and finished up an existing one.
K, I know what you are talking about. My knees are about gone. I just drop to the ground when I need to but really struggle to get back up! You know the line "Help, I fell and can't get up!" When I detect and get down to dig a signal I scan as far as I can reach with mt Deus before I get back up. It's easier to crawl!
I know what you mean. When I'm down and digging a signal, I use my T handled shovel to push up and get to my feet. A very helpful tool in more ways than one. He careful out there in this Georgia heat. It sounds like you are getting around better. Good news to hear.

KRose

I know what you mean. When I'm down and digging a signal, I use my T handled shovel to push up and get to my feet. A very helpful tool in more ways than one. He careful out there in this Georgia heat. It sounds like you are getting around better. Good news to hear.

fyrffytr1

Two friends and I dug a native American trash pit about a week ago in this fine south Georgia weather. It was in a farm field so there was no shade. The hole ended up about 4 feet deep and 6 feet in diameter. Two of us would get down in the hole and use trowels to work through the dirt. My problem came when it was time to get out of the hole. I couldn't stand up!I waited until the other guy got out then I stretched out, rolled over on my stomach and crawled out of the dang pit! But, we did come out with a few finds. A trade axe, engraved butt plate, copper ladle and parts of 5 mallet rum bottles as well as many pieces of broken pottery and even a carved bone. I don't have any pictures yet because the guy who found the pit has all the stuff and is trying to put the bottles and pottery back together.
Funny thing is, the other guys are several years younger than me but were in worse shape for a couple days after the dig. I was ready to go back and dig another pit the next day!