I'm planning on buying a detector for the east coast beaches soon

Discussion in 'Beach/Water/Underwater Metal Detecting' started by kickback, Nov 12, 2017.

1. kickback

kickback New Member

Retired R.N.
    I've been detecting for coins and jewelry a lot longer than I'm willing to admit(smile).I'm finally retired. I was born in Greensboro,North Carolina.I moved away as an infant. I have pursued a career as a "Traveling RN" . Specialized in Hemo Dialysis. I"m finally retired. I spent my vacations the last 12 years at the"Outer Banks NC " metal detecting. I'm not going to tell you all about the gold jewelry and silver coins I've found on each trip there.
    I was blessed to find some "virgin metal detecting sites" in Montana,North Dakota and South Dakota.Those days are now long gone.
    My hope is for beach detecting is fresh drops and after a bad storm or hurricane when the sand has been moved some old drops.
    I was blessed to watch/talk to the guys detecting a Spanish Fleet wreck just off the beach where I lived in Florida. Mel Fisher "ain't got nothing on those boys".
    When I first moved to the central east coast of Florida.I could stand in my driveway and throw a tennis ball into the ocean.That was before the explosion of Condo's. Some of my neighbors showed me coins ie several silver and 1 gold Spanish coin they found on the beach after "bad storms".They just found them on the beach,no metal detectors were involved.I watched "dive boats" anchored a 100 yards or less off the beach for days on end.Treasure diving,that was my guess.
    I learned and got certified in Scuba Diving to treasure hunt that area,specifically.
    I'm sorry but excotic women and high paying jobs,in that order,drew my away from East Coast.The truth in life metal detecting is a constant. I'm retired now.I buried cash in tin cans in the back yard to use for metal detecting trips(smile).
    I hope your next 3 targets are all silver quarters
    Badlands Billy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    draaiorgel, Buster and KRose like this.
  2. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    First let me say,, Welcome to TQ.
    Very interesting post. I like women too.
    I have retired and relocated. Before relocating, I lived in NYC and did some seasonal saltwater hunts. If you're planning on hitting salt water beaches,
    I would highly recommend that you invest in an Excalibur by Minelab.
    Good luck and Happy Hunting.

draaiorgel and KRose like this.
  3. KRose

KRose Well-Known Member

Retired Firefighter
    Badlands Billy, Welcome to TQ from Georgia. Great folks here that will be more than happy to give advice on beach hunting or salt water detectors. You have already heard from one, being the "Windman". I'm a relic hunter here from Georgia and I personally can't help out with beach MD's but there are quite a few here that I'm sure will chime in. Take care, and the best of luck to you in your quest for a new MD.

draaiorgel likes this.
  4. Buster

Buster King of Spam Staff Member

Work at the Eglin Air Force Base Armament Museum
    Welcome to the TQ family

draaiorgel and KRose like this.
  5. draaiorgel

draaiorgel Well-Known Member

organ grinder
    Fife, Scotland. approx. 12 miles from St.Andrews,
    Hi Badlands Billy.
    Hi welcome.JPG