I'm thinking of getting a CTX-3030

Discussion in 'CTX-3030' started by PRO PHOTOG, Apr 3, 2017.

1. PRO PHOTOG

PRO PHOTOG Well-Known Member

Professional photographer
    I currently have a White's DFX 300 and a Garrett AT Pro. One for land, one for water.

I've been doing a bit of research and I'm liking what I see of the CTX; being able to detect multiple targets and identify them on the screen, ability to to do both land and water with one machine, ability to track and geolocate your finds, which would be great for historical documentation, are just a few features that are vary attractive to me.

I've heard comments about the weight and wondering if that is really an issue. I've had tow rotator cuff surgeries last year, on my left shoulder.

Who has used the various features, and what didi you like/hate about them of other aspects of the CTX?

How is it for deep targets? Better or worse than others?

What about fresh-vs-salt water?

I'm hoping to get some real world insight.

KRose and JW Hunter like this.
  2. hoser

hoser Well-Known Member

Officially RETIRED!!! I ain't fixin nuttin.
    I don't own one, but I have two friends who do and I asked them that same question and they said it is balanced better than the E-Trac like I have so you really don't feel the extra weight.

KRose, JW Hunter and PRO PHOTOG like this.
  3. PRO PHOTOG

Thanks Hoser! I guess the next thing to do is go and get my hands on one.:whistle:

KRose likes this.
  4. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    I have the Mine lab Excalibur for salt water hunts. You can't beat it. I have used the AT PRO for fresh water hunts,, excellent results. The PRO doesn't perform well in salt water.
    The Etrac is a silver magnet but doesn't do well in the rain. The CTX is really well balanced and has all the bells and whistles. Even in "Stock program #1" it will go deep and bring up the silver. I prefer not to use it in the water, but rain will not hurt it. If you know how to manipulate and program computers a little bit,, then all the bells and whistles the CTX comes with,, are at your fingertips. If you decide to go with the CTX,, give me a P.M. I know where you may be able to get a great deal.
    If you're afraid that the CTX may be too much for your recent surgery, , look at the XP DEUS. It is a wireless, feather weight machine, made in France. The prices have come down considerably.
    The biggest problem I had to overcome with the DEUS, was the Steel Bottle Cap.
    With the program I'm now using, my bottle cap recoveries have been reduced considerably.
    Good luck buddy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Casca, KRose, JW Hunter and 1 other person like this.
  5. brother steve

brother steve Member

wood shop instructor
    I have 2. Just sold the old one. They are great machines. I recommend getting Andy Sabich's book. If you have rotator problems get the pro-swing 45 harness. You can go all day. There is a learning curve so be patient and ask question. Shop around because there are some good deals out there. You have to call because they cant advertise prices. Hope this helps.

KRose, JW Hunter and PRO PHOTOG like this.
  6. PRO PHOTOG

Thank ATW! I'll keep that in mind. (y)

Why don't you want to use it in the water? It's designed for use in the water, isn't it? I'm sure I read it was good to at least ten feet, like the AT and others.o_O

KRose likes this.
  7. PRO PHOTOG

Thanks Brother, or Steve (didn't want to say BS ... LOL) I'll look into that book. That will be much less expensive, and a good way to familiarize myself maybe.

KRose likes this.
  8. against the wind

I used the AT PRO for a little over 2 years.
    Everytime I used it in the water, I always coated the 3 "O" rings prior to taking it into the water. I use silicone grease.
    I also coat my battery connection on my Excalibur. I have never had leakage problems. The Excalibur can be submersed to a depth of 200 feet.
    I use the Excalibur whenever I hunt the water. The CTX model has experienced leakage when submersed. Minelab claims to have corrected the leakage issues by installing a different "O" ring at the battery compartment. The CTX is an all terrain machine and I don't worry about it's water tight integraty if hunting under rainy skies. I have 2 Excaliburs, so why risk a leakage problem?
    Minelab machines are great machines but
    numerous members have had difficulty in getting repairs done by authorized service centers.
    Minelab's After Sales Service Sucks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    PRO PHOTOG and KRose like this.
  9. JW Hunter

JW Hunter Well-Known Member

Woodsmith
    I've had the ctx for a short time, so i really can not give you sound stats...i also have the AT Pro....so far I can say I am glad I invested the money, it is well balanced and have had no fatigue in the short hunts I've done, but i am interested in that 45 sling for it....im going to wait until I get a nice 6 hr hunt in and see how I feel then, but that program it comes with is outstanding....i absolutely love that...and I have already logged some finds and created a few geohunts with it, it is incredible. This past Sunday I found my first silver with it 7 inches down....it screamed a solid hit, and yes, the vdi shows multiple targets as well....you can see the junk....and the good stuff....i am gonna have fun with this machine for a long time.

10. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    Just added a minelab to my collection of detectors also. ATW probably said it best, but CTX is definitely top notch. I wanted one too, but the 1000 bucks difference I got the Etrac instead. Two things I am hearing about the CTX, one it has a color screen. Two, some guys are going back to the Etrac. But both are fbs and just dont think you can go wrong.

PRO PHOTOG and against the wind like this.
  11. against the wind

It has been shared by long time Minelab users, that each CTX is built by hand. Some are considered "Hot Machines "
    What that means is that every once in awhile, a hand built machine is sold that is capable of going those extra few inches and/or locking in on a silver coin. Combine that with the "Scream" that the E-Trac produces when it goes over silver, and you have a "Hot Machine"
    I love my E-Trac too.
    I call it "The Monster"
    By the way,, with a little manipulation, and dealing with the right people, you could end up paying approximately $1,500. For a NEW CTX.

12. PRO PHOTOG

ATW, we need to talk!(y)

KRose likes this.