Jumping sounds

I've had my Ex II for two years now and although I have found numerous nice finds including a gold ring and silver,, I am shocked that I have not found more. I have carefully searched out grids on Cape Cod beaches with very little signals until I find a penny or nickle or trash. I find it hard to believe there wasn't more over this entire area, especially rings or jewelry. It seems when ever I search, I often times get broken tones with different tones on my scan of the coil. I try to pin point, but I can't figure which tone to focus on.. They're Not a solid tone like I get when I find silver or a penny or what ever.. WHAT DOES THIS spiratic tones indicate?? . I'm assuming it indicates trash or nothing of value considering how the area is so large and not pin pointed in one spot.. Has anyone experienced this with their Exp II?? One more question.. Is there a chart with the numbers of successful reading anywhere?? What I'm trying to ask for is a list of numbers that identify the object when I'm not using the smart screen...

Hi Crackedlimb...Welcome to TQ!!

I use and Explorer XS and E-Trac and while THe E-Trac software has resolve this issue and is more stable I do run up on that Jumping issue with the XS.

If I run into that issue I run manual SENs and lower it a bit until things stabilize...or lower Gain.

For me.....if the signal doesn't hit hard and is jumpy, its either hot soil, old rusted iron or sometimes something good near some junk metal.

Mike

Hey Mike,, I believe you're right on the money with the same things happening with your SE.. I feel better just hearing someone else has experienced the same thing. I will just continue to march and if something tells me to dig,, I'll dig.. Or I'll go to the next best sound.. Thanks again.:wave:

Hey Mike,, I believe you're right on the money with the same things happening with your SE.. I feel better just hearing someone else has experienced the same thing. I will just continue to march and if something tells me to dig,, I'll dig.. Or I'll go to the next best sound.. Thanks again.:wave:

Yep...they are know for it, especially the Explorer II's. I used to dig all but most times the jumping sounds were nothin but tiny iron pieces close together. When I get those jumpy tones I walk in circle swinging the coil over target hitting from different sides/angles ...see if a good tone will jump out...it not I move on. If something good is in there with the trash it will hit.

Mike