just a newer post.

redred102

I am currently operating a Garrett 350. So naturally my interests rest in this machine. I have noticed that there aren't a lot of current posts dealing with the 350. I would like to see if we can change that. Its a great machine and deserves an advocate.
So here it goes. I started out on bounty hunter about a year and a half ago and cleaned out all of the local parks in my area. Anything down to six inches got dug up. Then I got the idea that deeper would be better and started shopping around for a better machine. After reading many reviews and watching every YouTube on the subject I settled on the Garrett Ace 350.
Being new to the hobby I just wanted something that was a little deeper without breaking the bank. $323.00 later and two weeks of waiting on FedEx my machine was at the door!
The first thing I did was to go to the closest park that I had already cleaned out with the bounty hunter. Aside from a new accumulation of gum and candy bar wrappers I was unable to find any coins other than recent surface drops. This was with the bounty hunter. Then I pulled out the 350 for the comparison test. I ended up finding nickles, dimes, and quarters in the same park. Most of these finds were at about 7-9 in but I did measure one quarter at 12 inches laying flat.
Soon enough I had rep hunted every park in my area and found many different scenarios facing me that the bounty hunter just didn't cover. One was the deeper depth, the other one that stuck out most to me was the discrimination. Many targets that I had skipped due to the low growl of iron signal with the bounty hunter were ringing up clear as a bell in the quarter and dime area on the 350. When I dug these targets I would often pinpoint on a roofing tac, nail, or some other ferrous metal with the coin being slightly deeper and close to the iron. In some cases even directly under said trash!
Admittedly I want a trident or at pro but only for the water hunts. My 350 is and always will be my kicken it with the homie machine. It's not top of the line but you would have a tough time out hunting it even with a whites..
Have patience and learn what its telling you. This takes time and practice so start swinging! Being newer to the hobby there are a lot of tricks to the trade that I am still learning. But when it comes to the 350 I have learned it like the back of my hand. If anyone has questions regarding it I can try to help and if I can't then Garrett certainly can. Don't get frustrated and keep plugging. Happy hunting.

redred102

Thanks K. Hoping to reach out to 350 users and get a 350 support group going on. I've seen the 350 get mixed reviews and have come to the conclusion that much of this is due to bias based on owning a higher priced machine. I have hunted side by side with a whites and we both found about the same. He got a little better depth but hey if I'm digging a foot and a half into the ground I think I should be getting at least minimum wage!

draaiorgel

We started with the 250 Ace and changed to the 9" x 12" concentric coil.
If conditions are right at the time we could get coins at 14" sometimes on dry beach.
Not so hot on wet sand but could still nail a coin up to 6".
Stuck with it for about 4 1/2 years.
It was a fantastic detector for the money, so good it paid all our vacations and bought our two F70s.
I still take my Ace for a whirl from time to time.

The Beach Walker

ACE 350 Key Features
    • Enhanced Iron Resolution: allows more control of iron discrimination levels; helps separate good targets from adjacent junk iron.
    • Powerful new Double-D searchcoil: provides greater detection depth and performance in mineralized grounds and excellent scanning coverage.
    • Higher Frequency: offers improved ability to detect both small (i.e. small gold nuggets) and large targets
    • Volume Control Headphones: included with purchase
    • Electronic Pinpointing: to precisely locate target and speed recovery
    • Accept/Reject Discrimination: to modify discrimination patterns
    • Five Search Modes: select pre-set discrimination pattern or create your own
    • Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth
    • Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually
    • Interchangeable ACE series searchcoils: are available
    • Other features: One-Touch operation; 3-piece travel/storage, disassembles to 24"; adjustable arm cuff; quarter-inch (1/4") size headphone jack.
Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 5 plus electronic pinpointing
    • All Metal (Zero)
    • Jewelry
    • Custom
    • Relics
    • Coins
    • Pinpoint

DBG

When I got back into MDing I also bought the 350 which I still have.
It's a great Machine.
Then I upgraded to the AT Pro and like you did with the Ace 350 over the Bounty Hunter
I went back to Places I thought I had pretty much cleaned out with the Ace
And I found More targets that were Deeper,Hidden, or for some reason the Ace didn't see.
Like I have stated many times THE ACE 350 IS A GREAT MACHINE,
But the AT Pro is like an ACE 350 on STEROIDS
Reason being the AT is Analog instead of Digital and will go Deeper in most cases.
If you really want to try something without breaking the bank,
Get a 5"X8" DD coil for the Ace.
In parks and places of that Nature they are OUTSTANDING.
Almost as deep, but will get inbetween the Coverup trash a lot Better.
I got one for the AT Pro and one for the Ace 350
And have never interained the Idea of using the 8.5" X 11" coils again.

Last edited:

Jon D

Hi guys,new to this forum,first post here, I use an ace 350 with a 5x8 dd coil,had it for about a year,also use a bh 202.i have learned a lot from other people,videos,and asking questions.ive done ok metal detecting but there is more to learn,my machine for one thing.i am limited to what my body will let me do. I do luv my 5x8 coil for being lighter to swing. in my town the parks are pounded hard,private areas are scarce,have to travel to other towns.is that the same for most of you? I ll be lurking and listening for anything that will help me and if I can help you all I will. thanks, Jon

wildlife

Hi guys,new to this forum,first post here, I use an ace 350 with a 5x8 dd coil,had it for about a year,also use a bh 202.i have learned a lot from other people,videos,and asking questions.ive done ok metal detecting but there is more to learn,my machine for one thing.i am limited to what my body will let me do. I do luv my 5x8 coil for being lighter to swing. in my town the parks are pounded hard,private areas are scarce,have to travel to other towns.is that the same for most of you? I ll be lurking and listening for anything that will help me and if I can help you all I will. thanks, Jon
Welcome Jon D, I can travel in any direction 1/2 mile and find a park or two schools . The schools are usually fenced , but the parks open to hunting . The parks I have hunted maybe 70% seem to have not been hunted , but the others are clean . One park I hunted there were hardly any pulltabs or bottle caps , but around one tree I found three nickels . Go figure , so welcome to TQ from California .

Jon,
Welcome from South West Florida. Glad you joined TQ. You will have a lot of fun on this site.
In my area, parks and schools are off limits to MD'ing because some detectorises were not filling in their holes. :(
So, I travel about 30 miles to the beaches in the area to hunt.
Your 350 is a nice detector. You will have many good hunts with it. My your future finds be good ones.

Last edited:

Jon D

I am currently operating a Garrett 350. So naturally my interests rest in this machine. I have noticed that there aren't a lot of current posts dealing with the 350. I would like to see if we can change that. Its a great machine and deserves an advocate.
So here it goes. I started out on bounty hunter about a year and a half ago and cleaned out all of the local parks in my area. Anything down to six inches got dug up. Then I got the idea that deeper would be better and started shopping around for a better machine. After reading many reviews and watching every YouTube on the subject I settled on the Garrett Ace 350.
Being new to the hobby I just wanted something that was a little deeper without breaking the bank. $323.00 later and two weeks of waiting on FedEx my machine was at the door!
The first thing I did was to go to the closest park that I had already cleaned out with the bounty hunter. Aside from a new accumulation of gum and candy bar wrappers I was unable to find any coins other than recent surface drops. This was with the bounty hunter. Then I pulled out the 350 for the comparison test. I ended up finding nickles, dimes, and quarters in the same park. Most of these finds were at about 7-9 in but I did measure one quarter at 12 inches laying flat.
Soon enough I had rep hunted every park in my area and found many different scenarios facing me that the bounty hunter just didn't cover. One was the deeper depth, the other one that stuck out most to me was the discrimination. Many targets that I had skipped due to the low growl of iron signal with the bounty hunter were ringing up clear as a bell in the quarter and dime area on the 350. When I dug these targets I would often pinpoint on a roofing tac, nail, or some other ferrous metal with the coin being slightly deeper and close to the iron. In some cases even directly under said trash!
Admittedly I want a trident or at pro but only for the water hunts. My 350 is and always will be my kicken it with the homie machine. It's not top of the line but you would have a tough time out hunting it even with a whites..
Have patience and learn what its telling you. This takes time and practice so start swinging! Being newer to the hobby there are a lot of tricks to the trade that I am still learning. But when it comes to the 350 I have learned it like the back of my hand. If anyone has questions regarding it I can try to help and if I can't then Garrett certainly can. Don't get frustrated and keep plugging. Happy hunting.
That is a very good post,i know some days I think its the MD,but than I know its me not understanding my MD,like my says why don't you just listen to me. thx, Jon

Jon D

Jon,
Welcome from South West Florida. Glad you joined TQ. You will have a lot of fun on this site.
In my area, parks and schools are off limits to MD'ing because some detectorises were not filling in their holes. :(
So, I travel about 30 miles to the beaches in the area to hunt.
You 350 is a nice detector. You will have many good hunts with it. My your future finds be good ones.
Thx, travel from 10 to 60 miles one way to find good areas,other wise local pounded hard parks .