Labeld bottles

grub54891

How does one clean a bottle properly that still has label's attached.I don't want to ruin the label on one I have.{1918}
Any help would be great! grub

grub54891

cleaning

The more I look at it I think I'll just carefully clean the glass of the bottle.The label is in good shape.It sat in a basement for many year's till I got it.It still has the cork in it and some kind of residue.Would it hurt the value to remove the broken off cork and clean the inside??

The label looks a little dingy but is most likely just from sitting around, collecting dust. I wouldn't mess with it, it looks good. If anything at all you get a really soft artist eraser and go real slow and soft over the entire label. Keep a strong fan on to continually blow away the crumbs and that will get most of the surface dirt off. I'd leave it as is though. As far as the cork and contents, no value whatsoever. Go ahead and clean it out being really careful not to get the label wet and you should be fine. To keep the inside from getting dusty and dirty again just place it upside down until all the water is out and smack another cork into it. Keep the label out of the sun. The UV will destroy the inks over time. The one I had with label and box wasn't in as nice condition. A small display shelf of old labeled meds can look like a museum quality display even if the bottles are common. They use to claim a baby in ever bottle. That stuff was to help women get knocked up. It was probably mostly alcohol to get the women drunk enough to have sex. Swiz

grub54891

Lydia

I figure the alcohol was just a method to make them feel better,most alixer's(i think i spelled that wrong) had it in them.Didn't really think it was just to loosen em up!!Remind's me of the andy griffith show when aunt bee was buying something like that...LOL:icon_roll