Larger Coils - Garrett GTAx 550

I was reading on Garrett’s site regarding larger 10 inch round coils vs. the 7.5 oval double d. I have the 7.5 DD oval coil and Garrett discusses that these are good for trashy areas since they focus on a more narrow search pattern.

Discussing the larger coil focused on a wider area and deeper.

I was thinking about purchasing a larger coil. Mainly to try it out and compare if it does provide more finds. The one concern Garrett's site discussed was that you may have more of a chance to get junk along with good finds in one sweep since the coverage area is wider. This will then produce some bad signals and you may not know what you are targeting.

What is the general consensus from your experts out there on larger coils? Since it covers a wider area and may detect junk and good stuff does this then ends up in wasting time? Maybe for relics this is good but for coin shooting a bad idea?

Search Coil Tech Sheet

Thank you,
Patrick

C

Chuck@TreasureHut

Hey Patrick.....

......if you were going to be relic hunting at a battlefield area, or ghost town, I would say buy it. But, if I have understood your posts, detecting parks, i.e. Hines park....I think you will be disappointed, because yes, you will find more, and deeper but, oh my goodness the TRASH!
I was reading on Garrett’s site regarding larger 10 inch round coils vs. the 7.5 oval double d. I have the 7.5 DD oval coil and Garrett discusses that these are good for trashy areas since they focus on a more narrow search pattern.

Discussing the larger coil focused on a wider area and deeper.

I was thinking about purchasing a larger coil. Mainly to try it out and compare if it does provide more finds. The one concern Garrett's site discussed was that you may have more of a chance to get junk along with good finds in one sweep since the coverage area is wider. This will then produce some bad signals and you may not know what you are targeting.

What is the general consensus from your experts out there on larger coils? Since it covers a wider area and may detect junk and good stuff does this then ends up in wasting time? Maybe for relics this is good but for coin shooting a bad idea?

Search Coil Tech Sheet

Thank you,
Patrick

The way I hear it, the larger the coil, the harder it is to ID small stuff. For coins 8" is ideal unless you have a lot of trash. The 4.5" coil stands a better chance of fine tuning between two smaller targets (like coins and tabs). The larger coils are deeper, but for itens larger than a quarter.

Thats what I was thinking.I might get the 4.5" Crossfire II search coil to help pinpoint targets.
Also does anyone know how to get the coil cover off without damaging it?