Laws concerning MD'ing around SRB, PCB, Destin, Walton County

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting Questions & Answers' started by Super 64, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Super 64

Super 64 Active Member

I'm looking for good places to swing. The beaches are fine and dandy and I've been able to find plenty of info about these areas, but what about other areas?

Schools
    City Parks
    Other Parks
    Point Washington State Park
    Other State parks
    Abandoned houses

Any suggestions? In particular, does anyone have a link to specific laws governing MD'ing in Florida and the counties/cities therein?

I want to obey the law, but I also want to swing at more places than just the beach. Thanks in advance folks!

-Tom

P.S. I did search the forums, but there seems to be no thread or section that specifically covers this.
  2. steve07

steve07 Well-Known Member

Metal detecting in Florida is governed by the State Laws of Antiquities, established by the Federal Archaeological Resource Preservation Act of 1979. While metal detecting itself is not outlawed in any sense, the main thing metal detector users must keep in mind is that particular areas may be protected from those hobbyists who consider themselves "treasure hunters."
    Permissions

• Metal detector use can be regulated differently within each Florida county. Some counties require the possession of a permit to use a metal detector within local parks or city property. Other locations, such as national parks, are restricted against the use of metal detectors. State parks require the written permission of a park officer. In Florida, metal detecting is allowed on beaches, but only in public areas and with the permission of a park manager. On a beach, a metal detector user must be careful not to stray onto private property or leased areas, unless given permission by the owner.
    Regulations

• A metal detector operator must respect public property in the course of metal detecting. Public property cannot be harmed or defaced in any manner during a scan or retrieval of any discovered items. Metal detecting organizations such as the Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs also have ethical codes they require members to uphold. This involves the refilling of holes made during retrieval attempts, the disposal of all discovered trash, and proper interaction with local authorities.
    Recovery

• While discoveries made on a Florida beach can be considered under the general "finders-keepers" rule, anything within the water is subject to a different set of laws. Should a metal detector operator dive with his equipment, he must be cautious of the area he is in and of any discoveries made there. Objects that have been in Florida waters for more than 50 years are considered state property and illegal to retrieve by private operators. Also, waters adjacent to national parks are off limits to treasure hunters of any sort.
    Consequences

• Under Florida's State Laws of Antiquities, the breaking of any applicable laws concerning the abuse of public land, trespassing on private property, or the illegal removal of state property is punishable by applicable fines, imprisonment, and the confiscation of all metal detecting tools and equipment.
    I'm not from Florida, but this is what I found as far as written Laws. I would wait for someone like Buster or one of the other guys from Florida to give you the details.
    I personally know in Connecticut that any State Park with Historic significance are "Off Limits" to Metal Detecting, out of the 50 or so State Parks in our little State only 4 or 5 have that Law apply. There are 3 Towns that are completely "Off Limits" to Metal Detecting because of there Historic significance. Hope this is helpful...

CLDunham0 likes this.
  3. Buster

Buster King of Spam Staff Member

Real good info Steve. We hunt the beaches here, but nothing with the words State in the wording. Have heard of folks asking and getting permission to hunt the National Parks I think..just depends on who is on duty at the gate. Also it is just the beach line from the dunes to the water..I think Robbie knows some of the ins and outs of this..he will chime in along with Rick. They know the rules..For hunting in our area, the Okkaloosa boardwalk and the beaches on Santa Rosa Bld are a good hunt..Destin is OK, but parking is hard to find sometimes..Then there is San Deston up by the Bass Pro Shop area..The strip of beaches up there is a good hunt..Navarre beach has never been good to me. Not found too much that way..Then there is Pensacola Beach..been there a few times, but slim pickens also...We will have to get together for a hunt and see what we can do. We do have a good group that gets together and hunts some.That and we like the donuts and dinners that go with it all...Chuck....:)
    tcrews and steve07 like this.
  4. tcrews

tcrews Well-Known Member

LOL Chuck your so funny.....over this way in Pensacola the beach is good but the park areas to the east are posted. Pensacola city parks are all good with one exception...up on Palafox there is a park and remains of an old fort..the city would like us not to detect in that area. Happy Hunting!!! :)
    Buster likes this.
  5. CLDunham0

CLDunham0 Member

Great info. Buster is right, Navarre is hard, lots of beer cans and tent pegs, but I hope to get wet this year and see what turns up in the water. Got my eye on a water proof detector over at Treasure Hunters in Fort Walton/Shalimar area.
    tcrews likes this.
  6. Megagold

Megagold Well-Known Member

You know what???...I would pay for a metal detector card which gives a person permission to detect and could go where I wanted on state land!....:)
    Buster likes this.
  7. steve07

steve07 Well-Known Member

Where? What State?
  8. robby4570

robby4570 Well-Known Member

OK, better late than never, huh? As far as beaches go, I've had way better luck on the 30 or so miles of beach from Rosemary to St Andrews Bay than I ever did in Miramar/Destin/Santa Rosa Beach area. Seems to be more "losers" coming to my beaches. If you do either Topsail State Park or the one up in Destin by the WalMart (the name escapes me right now) you can get a day pass to go to the beach, last time I was there was about 8 months ago. At that time you had to let them know at the office that you wanted to MD - asking permission goes a long way with them at the one by Wal Mart - and listen intently to their rules. The state leaves it to the discretion of the park manager but if detecting IS allowed, you can ONLY detect the DRY SAND NOT THE WET and only to the Dunes, NOT into the dunes. And you must be sure to take all your trash you dig up and fill in the scoop holes. I hunted Topsail a few times and never struck it rich but never got skunked either and had no hassle with the management, but we were camping there.

I will NEVER pay to MD!!!

Getting a day pass at the state park is paying to use the park, MD'ing the beach is a small part of what we do with a day pass so don't flame me...
    tcrews likes this.
  9. Megagold

California!
  10. Megagold

I will NEVER pay to MD!!!

Getting a day pass at the state park is paying to use the park, MD'ing the beach is a small part of what we do with a day pass so don't flame me...[/quote
    ????
  11. robby4570

robby4570 Well-Known Member

What's your ?????