Learning a little more everyday...

teamroper

The one thing that I really enjoyed about the unit this weekend is that even though it's not waterproof, you can take the remote off the shaft in less than a second and pop it in your shirt or jacket pocket. Then if you're still curious about the reading you can still pull it out and look.

This little deal actually helped me to listen to what was going on, rather than to look and listen to what was going on. Which is probably what I should be doing anyway. :rolleyes: Over a period of time I was developing a better ear for the better targets.

One other thing that helped me during my rainy day of MDing was to listen for the "boink" sound. I know that sounds crazy but that's the only way I can describe it. If I heard that "boink" sound it was usually a bullet. Again, this is coming from a new XP Deus owner so don't take it all to heart. Just my two cents. :)

diggin brains

The one thing that I really enjoyed about the unit this weekend is that even though it's not waterproof, you can take the remote off the shaft in less than a second and pop it in your shirt or jacket pocket. Then if you're still curious about the reading you can still pull it out and look.

This little deal actually helped me to listen to what was going on, rather than to look and listen to what was going on. Which is probably what I should be doing anyway. :rolleyes: Over a period of time I was developing a better ear for the better targets.

One other thing that helped me during my rainy day of MDing was to listen for the "boink" sound. I know that sounds crazy but that's the only way I can describe it. If I heard that "boink" sound it was usually a bullet. Again, this is coming from a new XP Deus owner so don't take it all to heart. Just my two cents. :)
sounds pretty good , can the headphones get wet

teamroper

sounds pretty good , can the headphones get wet
I don't use the factory ones but I'd say they would work fine. I use Vance's headphones. You can see them on his website called Vance's metal detectors. They look a little like the Grey Ghosts. Believe me they got wet and never malfunctioned once. I had water dripping off my head and my jacket and shirt was soaked at the end of a 4 hr hunt.

diggin brains

I don't use the factory ones but I'd say they would work fine. I use Vance's headphones. You can see them on his website called Vance's metal detectors. They look a little like the Grey Ghosts. Believe me they got wet and never malfunctioned once. I had water dripping off my head and my jacket and shirt was soaked at the end of a 4 hr hunt.
so the head phones are wired head phones that plug into the main control box

against the wind

I doubt it. I'm waiting for ATW to put some time into it and then I'll read all his advice. :D
Thanks for the compliment Jake but I think you have the jump on me. I like the idea that you are starting to listening to the target's audio signature. I hear certain signals and I can almost declare SILVER,,,
It isn't always a sure Declaration but it sure is exciting to hear those high pitches. Maybe you should pull out some of those silver dimes that you found in that coin spill and just keep swinging the coil over a few of them. Then swing it over a few other different targets. The sound of silver has to have it's own signature or Pitch.
Like your buddy says,,, "It's in the sound,,, not the numbers"
Congrats on a successful interaction with the rain:cool:

teamroper

Thanks for the compliment Jake but I think you have the jump on me. I like the idea that you are starting to listening to the target's audio signature. I hear certain signals and I can almost declare SILVER,,,
It isn't always a sure Declaration but it sure is exciting to hear those high pitches. Maybe you should pull out some of those silver dimes that you found in that coin spill and just keep swinging the coil over a few of them. Then swing it over a few other different targets. The sound of silver has to have it's own signature or Pitch.
Like your buddy says,,, "It's in the sound,,, not the numbers"
Congrats on a successful interaction with the rain:cool:
I might have a jump start on you but remember I've been mainly hunting for CW stuff. My time coinshooting with this machine has been very limited and has a lot to be desired. But yes, I will get a couple silver coins out and swing it over them a few times so that I can identify them easier. Thanks.