Make sure its legal where ever you are.

I parked right outside of the George Manor In Shirley Ny to hunt for civil war relics which i call the Bicentennial grounds. I was outside of the locked gated area when a man asked me to leave. He said he owned the land even thought it was not part of the Manor's gated area. It was on the outskirts thinking it was okay. You need to know if its okay to hunt before doing so there are fines, desk appearances, and your equipment can be taken and that's just not worth the risk. I told the man I am going to leave and not go back and thank him for the warning. Be careful out there stay safe, do it legally and have fun.o_O

Knowledge is gold.
Your living the dream and you an't kidding Hawaii. Here on long Island as far as i know all beaches require a permit. I'll advise everyone before hunting make sure you can legally do so. I am also a shallow water beach hunter and the water is really the place i like to be. So many other places there are to go a specially relic hunting but your just not permitted. Usually, State owned property. Get caught on Federal property your equipment, confiscated. No getting it back.

Good advice,,
I have done some exstensive research and have obtained permits and hunted in numerous counties in NYS.
You need any info,, let me know:cool:
I will definitely take you up on that the more you know the better your off. There is a big park near by I'm looking into. All I know at this point it's a Brookhaven park. Hopefully, Thats my next attempt to relic hunt.

KRose

That is good advice indeed S2F. I hear if one is caught hunting on federal park property here in Georgia using a Metal Detector and digging implements, it's just not a good thing. Confiscation of all your equipment, your vehicle if found on park property, a fine upwards of around $ 10,000.00 and possibly some jail time. We had an old saying in the military that if someone did something really bad, stupid, or both, that the party had peed in their canteen. Just not really a good thing to do.

That is good advice indeed S2F. I hear if one is caught hunting on federal park property here in Georgia using a Metal Detector and digging implements, it's just not a good thing. Confiscation of all your equipment, your vehicle if found on park property, a fine upwards of around $ 10,000.00 and possibly some jail time. We had an old saying in the military that if someone did something really bad, stupid, or both, that the party had peed in their canteen. Just not really a good thing to do.
You are not kidding. A little weekend fun can turn into a disaster. I never even thought about losing the car too. Thanks for the heads ups. Jan 1st 2015 I'm getting my Brookhaven permits that cover Brookhaven beaches, and Brookhaven Parks only. I figure thats a good start for the New Year.

against the wind

I will definitely take you up on that the more you know the better your off. There is a big park near by I'm looking into. All I know at this point it's a Brookhaven park. Hopefully, Thats my next attempt to relic hunt.
County code 19-41 applies to treasure hunting in Brookhaven Park . This is no digging or removal of artifacts allowed.
There is one exception,,,, you are allowed to search for a lost item for the owner of that item. www.brookhavenga.gov
There are a few things you can do at no cost to you.
Get in touch with the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. Let them know about the situation and ask them to intervene. You can join and be eligible to win a metal detector in the monthly auction. It is free.
Another group that many of us here at TQ belong to and volunteer for is The Lost My Stuff Group. There are over 14, 000 members worldwide. We search for lost property for free with a metal detector. www.lostmystuff.net
If they are now allowing metal detecting with a permit,, please give me the contact or web site so I can update my files.
Good luck buddy,, and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.:cool:

Last edited:
County code 19-41 applies to treasure hunting in Brookhaven Park . This is no digging or removal of artifacts allowed.
There is one exception,,,, you are allowed to search for a lost item for the owner of that item. www.brookhavenga.gov
There are a few things you can do at no cost to you.
Get in touch with the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. Let them know about the situation and ask them to intervene. You can join and be eligible to win a metal detector in the monthly auction. It is free.
Another group that many of us here at TQ belong to and volunteer for is The Lost My Stuff Group. There are over 14, 000 members worldwide. We search for lost property for free with a metal detector. www.lostmystuff.net
If they are now allowing metal detecting with a permit,, please give me the contact or web site so I can update my files.
Good luck buddy,, and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.:cool:
Thank you very much for the info your information is quite helpful and i will look into becoming a member of the group The Lost My Stuff Group. The suffolk County Permit covers a good amount for parks and beaches. The family permit allows 4 members for $55.00 well worth it and that permit is available Jan 1 of every new year. Thank you very much for the info. I was in Southhaven Park today with two other guys both had the Garretts ATPros and both did okay for themselves. As for me and my CTX3030 I dug Aluminum and one copper penny.

hoser

Very good info. If you are caught in one of these places they WILL tell you there is no excuse for not knowing the law, and cause you a ton of grief.