...melting silver into bars worth the work?

westgateblvd

I'm not sure either, but I think that it would have to be PURE SILVER.. Otherwise there would be an aloy in it that you would have to figure out how to remove..

i do this quite frequently as a hobby. it's very fun. it is a little time consuming, but that's part of the reason i like to do it. i've even sold several bars on ebay. no need to pay an assayer. just acid test what you are melting, and test your final product. always be sure to melt only marked items and keep different purity items separated. it's perfectly fine for individuals to mark their own silver, you just can't knowingly mark it with an incorrect purity marking. i do this in my garage in my spare time and it's neat to take a few old tarnished or broken pieces and transform them into something shiny and new again. here are a few of mine that i've made.

Attachments

rip

i do this quite frequently as a hobby. it's very fun. it is a little time consuming, but that's part of the reason i like to do it. i've even sold several bars on ebay. no need to pay an assayer. just acid test what you are melting, and test your final product. always be sure to melt only marked items and keep different purity items separated. it's perfectly fine for individuals to mark their own silver, you just can't knowingly mark it with an incorrect purity marking. i do this in my garage in my spare time and it's neat to take a few old tarnished or broken pieces and transform them into something shiny and new again. here are a few of mine that i've made.
I second this ! Heres an idea....instead of melting your silver into bars...maybe you could cast your silver into something unique...like a statue or some other type of art form.Something like that could potentaly double the value of your silver....I do carvings and go by the name "that soon to be rich artist formaly known as Terry" lol

Super 64

I would be interested in the process involved. But if we ever got to a bartering system due to the crash of the dollar, I think I'd want something significantly smaller than an ounce or half. Which is why I'd keep dimes in their current form and probably make small things out of others that are worth more in silver than they are for a collectible.

schoser

great responses to my question guys, thank ya's.....i can see either side of the token with melting versus not...or doing both even. I've been watching the how-to videos on youtube and it doesn't look all that tough. might try it with copper in the near future.

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
Personally, I'm a fan of precious metal coins even though they are a premium item - it's the known quantity of a 1 ounce, minted coin that makes the added value worth the added up front cost to me. In a barter situation this would be well worth the extra expense to me and I would think the other party because you would know you were getting fair value. A homemade ingot has less redeemable value in my mind because you're just not sure what you're getting - but this is just my personal opinion.

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
If I was going to form silver into something other than a coin I would form it into silver bullets because I think there is an added value there. As a curiousity it might be worth more than the silver content and cartridge combined.:cool:

steve07

If I was going to form silver into something other than a coin I would form it into silver bullets because I think there is an added value there. As a curiousity it might be worth more than the silver content and cartridge combined.:cool:
Yeah, but ballistics tests show that Silver bullets are very bad to shoot and there trajectory can be a little "off" (Saw a show about Werewolves and the problems of shooting Silver Bullets!). I also used to know a guy that made them as a novelty item, based on the Lone Ranger, and he tried shooting them and they are not very accurate after 30 feet.
Do as you will and have fun!!!

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
Yeah, but ballistics tests show that Silver bullets are very bad to shoot and there trajectory can be a little "off" (Saw a show about Werewolves and the problems of shooting Silver Bullets!). I also used to know a guy that made them as a novelty item, based on the Lone Ranger, and he tried shooting them and they are not very accurate after 30 feet.
Do as you will and have fun!!!
If I had to shoot a werewolf I think I would let him get closer than 30 feet before opening up on him with the silver bullets - darned things are expensive.:D After all, he might just be out for a walk in the moonlight.

in my experience of selling a few of my bars on ebay, i found that people are willing to pay a premium over spot price for them. don't ask me why but they do. i usually actually get MORE for a bar than i would for the equivalent amount in pieces of assayed, marked jewelry, so naysayers can say what they want but i've been doing this for a while and i know the numbers. i never melt coins, only sterling jewelry and damaged pieces of flatware and hollow ware. you would be amazed where you can find that stuff for cheap. (i love flea markets and junk shops). i usually pay much less than melt value for the sterling silver i use. i then put a little time into creating bars from it because i think it's enjoyable. i can then sell a bar on ebay for a dollar or two more than current melt value and take the proceeds down to the coin shop and buy a handful of silver dimes. i did that yesterday:).
i am by no means an expert in casting, but if y'all would really like to see my little garage setup, i could start a new thread and tell how i do it. it's really very simple, and startup costs are not bad. finally i found a hobby that pays me back:D.