Mineralization : 5.75" VS. 10x12" coil

Hi, I've been doing a little nugget prospecting and have a question: I know i need DD coils to get better performance, but which coil is better when it comes to mineralization, the 5.75" or the 10x12" ?

The larger coil covers much more area, while the smaller coil pinpoints better, but when it comes to mineralization, which coil is better?

Thank you

Hi, I've been doing a little nugget prospecting and have a question: I know i need DD coils to get better performance, but which coil is better when it comes to mineralization, the 5.75" or the 10x12" ?

The larger coil covers much more area, while the smaller coil pinpoints better, but when it comes to mineralization, which coil is better?

Thank you
Hi,
The DD coils (widescan) will do better in the high mineralization than a concentric. I assume you are using the Tejon to prospect with?

The larger coil will 'read' more ground mineralization than a small coil...so, if the ground is highly mineralized (above average for the gold fields), a large coil may not be a good option.

The smaller widescan will be more sensitive to smaller objects, which most gold nuggets are small. It will also keep the detector more stable than a large coil. I prefer to use the 10" eliptical widescan, because it has slightly better ground coverage and depth than the 5.75 wide scan, and it helps keep my Lobo ST stable when the mineralization is above average, compared to the 10X12.

The 10X12 will find larger nuggets deeper, but may miss some of the smaller ones, compared to the sensitvity of smaller coils. This coil is more susceptible to mineralization instabiltiy than a smaller coil.

Each coil has its advantages in different situations. The 10" is works well if you are only going to have one 'nugget coil'. If you are using the Tejon for nuggets, the 5.75" or the 10" would be my first choice for stability in mineralized ground..... A lot of Tejon users are using the 5.75" coils to help in high mineralization conditions for stabiltiy.

Good luck,
Casey at Tesoro