MXT Kindergarten

So my MXT came this week and I have been out with it twice. Saying the MXT is an upgrade to the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is like saying a Ferrari is an upgrade to a tricycle. Every single swing, the display shows, "iron", "$1", "ring, pulltab", "1, 10", "50", "overload", etc.... I am thinking I should have brought a square point shovel and just dig a trench after every swing. I have read the manual, watched the video and am reading the manual again. Just not sure what adjustments I need to make so I am not digging a 20 foot wide crater at the park. Maybe I should move down to my 6" EXcelerator coil?

Any other ideas?

Ric-san

Wow that was funny...the way you wrote it. I'm sure all of the MXT peeps will chime in and start to give you some hints...you defiantly earned an "A" for your effort...good luck!

Hey MDMac,

Wow...Where do I start? :biggrin:

Ferrari?.....Oh Yeah!!!!! :bthumb:

Since you are new to the machine, you need to build up your confidence and such. It sounds like you are working a pretty trashy area as you are getting readings on every single swing. I'm not sure what kind of detecting you are wanting to do, but I think any of these will help get you on the right track:

1. Your area may have higher ground mineralization that is affecting your machine....from the standard setting, try tweaking down the Gain a little bit to stablize.

2. Also, from the standard setting, try adding a little bit more Discrimination. This will get rid of some of the signals til you get more used to the machine. Understand you will be eliminating some trash, but possibly also that gold ring or nickel range stuff.

3. A smaller coil is a good idea. It will separate stuff alot better in trashy areas, but you are sacrificing depth from the stock coil.

4. Don't worry too much about the accuracy of the VDI's and such (Awe gee....I got a dime when it told me I had a penny......or I got a 2 inch washer that read silver dollar........hehe).

5. Do not run the machine "Hot" right off the bat as I've posted in another MXT thread. As time goes on you will have the ability to do that, but it comes with time and that may not be how you want to detect.

6. Have fun. Pay your dues. Your efforts will be rewarded. :smile:

Hawk

I felt the same way when I got my XLT, once you learn the machine you will not look, Keep practicing and read, read read, you will master it soon. Good luck:bthumb:

Working a target infested area can be frustrating, just imagine the 9.5 inch stock coil (pretty large in size), having 3 targets directly underneath it, now scatter a few more targets, off to the sides. no matter what direction you move, your machine is sensing multiple targets at one time !! Vdi's jumpin, nothin seems to lock on solid, depth readings are bouncin from 3 to 6 to 9, back to 4 !!!! It's enough to drive you nuts !! Pulltabs, iron, coins, jewelry, all under the coil, at the same time !! Got a good hint for ya..... move to a less target infested site... at least until you learn your MXT. Small coil might help (cuts down on the footprint size i/e less targets under the coil, at one time) but if that 6" coil you have is a DD, it may be a worse choice for the target infested area, cause it will get increased depth, bringing even more targets under the coil !! Concentric coils work better in target infested sites, cause the signal field goes to a point. Another tip, if you got multiple targets under your coil... raise your coil off the ground, swing, pinpoint and dig the shallowest target first, then the next deepest and so on, till you get some of them out of the way !! Then you can go after the deeper ones, hope this helps you out !! Rich.

prizm-pal

Mdmac...in time you will learn you're machine...it takes us all a while to know what the machine is telling us...hang in there good things will come of it!

Well I put the 5" DD coil on yesterday and went back to the park. At least the signals weren't so jumbled up. Found a little clad and still some trash, but nothing else. I find that I enjoy MDing without headphones, don't know what it is. I think wearing headphones makes me feel like I am indoors when I want to feel like I am outdoors.

The WWATS Group Treasure Hunt were here on June 7th and 8th, and I am thinking that some of them hit this park pretty hard, especially since it is the only park in town. I am thinking maybe I need to start hitting the older homes here now, I just have never asked to hunt private property before. If I am doing older homes, is it too much to expect at least one coin over 50 years old? Especially if the home is over 100 years old! Or should I lower my expectations?

The MXT is going to take some time to learn. It is an advanced machine.

Hey MdMac,

I find that I enjoy MDing without headphones, don't know what it is. I think wearing headphones makes me feel like I am indoors when I want to feel like I am outdoors.

Hope I don't step on any toes with this one, but I would highly recommend that you use headphones or at least at least a headset that has one headphone and your other ear is uncovered to help you hear external noise. When wearing headphones, you will hear the "subtle signals" better and more importantly, you won't wear out your welcome with people that are within shouting distance (very aggravating to those around you :cussing:). Also, your batteries will last longer from what I understand when you wear headphones.

I am thinking maybe I need to start hitting the older homes here now, I just have never asked to hunt private property before. If I am doing older homes, is it too much to expect at least one coin over 50 years old? Especially if the home is over 100 years old! Or should I lower my expectations?

The skies the limit on what you can find I believe. :bthumb: The hardest part is asking.....the worst that can happen is someone saying "no".

The MXT is going to take some time to learn. It is an advanced machine.

You will find your comfort zone...then go out and do a little tweaking to unlock what it can do for you. :bthumb: It's gets better every time you use it and learn it. Don't measure your success on what you find....measure it on what you learn and improve on. The finds and getting out are a great result. :wink:

Hawk