My F2 Review by Steve07

steve07

Hello all, I received my Fisher F2 that I bought at a great deal from a good friend on here at the TQ Forum on July 14th 2011 and have hunted a few times with it. Now I have used several Metal Detectors and am quite "Picky" about the Detectors I use. That said, the first time I took out the F2 on 07/14/2011 down the street from my house at the Old Catechism school, I found some change and a Silver Gothic Ring. The Silver Gothic Ring beeped oddly first as a Dime and then as a Quarter (if I followed the advice of a few on here that say that usually indicates trash, I wouldn't have found it.) it was just below the grass and was easy to recover.
I took out the F2 a few times in the following days and put it through it's paces, in different soils, dirt, sand and clay soil. It worked well in all conditions, The Sand was at the beach at the Lake up the street from me and I found a few clad coins, one a quarter at about 7" inches, so the depth is not an issue. The Clay was at a local Tennis Courts around the edges and I found some clad coins and a 14K Gold earring heart (quite small) A real pain to dig in. I went to the local recreation area and decided to hunt the Tot Lot for a bit (it's not a very old area) and just found some clad coins.
I do have 3 coils (4", 8" and 10") for this machine and they all seem to work well. I actually found a clad dime at the baseball field at 11" inches with the 10" inch coil (I don't usually dig that deep, but it was a test for the new machine).
All in all the F2 is a very good machine, easy to use and the pin pointer function is spot on. I use this MD as my primary machine, as it seems to be quite accurate and the depth pretty good. If I were to recommend a Metal Detector to a beginner, they would do fine with the Fisher F2. Hey I found Clad Coins, Silver and Gold with this Machine in a weeks time. I'm impressed!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hey, check out more of my knives on "The Knife Collector" thread....

pennystock

thats a nice write up steve......i had the ace-250 and the f-2 and sold the ace-250...........thats just my 2 cents.........others will differ and thats fine....it performed for me but i was up to 5 machines and can only swing one at a time...

DigsNW

Good review Steve. I have never looked at this detector and would try one on your review if I were looking for a new detector. I hope it treats you well and you find some great things with it.

I have an F2 as well. As I said in the other thread, all in all its not a bad machine, is a killer on clad, but it does have a few issues. Depth seems to be one of those but every now and then it surprises me. I’ve dug a nice silver quarter at 8 inches and an old crucifix at 10 inches.

I've not had good luck hunting sand with it. In my experience it gets quiet as a tomb on sand, so I don’t even bother with the Volleyball courts anymore.

I have also noticed that silver will signal on dime and quarter. I found gold jewlery and it indicated zinc penny/dime.

Ric-san

Steve; welcome to the 21st century...(hehehe) I'm sure there is a serious technology jump from the Cobra you use to the F2...hopefully it will produce for you as I have heard goo things of this detector....great luck to you in future hunts...

Rick

Viddy

I got an F2 as a backup and to take if someone wants to come, and it's nails the coins!. I like how light it is and it's really simple to use... Depth is pretty good too. is it an F75? absolutely not!... is it a great bang for a buck. heck yeah!

I also like how the pin pointing sounds like a lightsaber....LOL

steve07

Yes Sir....

Steve; welcome to the 21st century...(hehehe) I'm sure there is a serious technology jump from the Cobra you use to the F2...hopefully it will produce for you as I have heard goo things of this detector....great luck to you in future hunts...

Rick
I still occasionally use the Cobra and it is still a very decent machine.
I like the F2 and have noticed on many machines with a meter that they are all a little off. So, I mostly listen to the beeps and I like the many coils I have for it. Hehehe, I have had many folks tell me to upgrade for a few years and I could afford this machine because a friend on this Forum gave me such a great deal. :bthumb::bthumb::bthumb: I still thank him!!!
I guess I'm like others in one aspect, every machine I see or read about I want to try and/or own. I just don't have the money, as I am still looking for work, dealing with health issues and always trying to catch up with bills. I'm not complaining, I'm still alive and a regular at the VA Hospital, trying to get healthy. That is so much better then not being!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

I currently own a Fisher F2 metal detector and I've had a lot of success with it in the last 3 months. It's a great detector, especially for the price!
The F2 is sensitive to very small objects and you will find it performs just like detectors costing much more which is why Fisher is selling tons of them. The 8-inch coil is the standard coil. The 4-inch coil is fantastic in trashy areas and gets great depth for a small coil and is sensitive to very small objects.

The Fisher F2 includes adjustable notch discrimination (trash elimination), several levels of sensitivity (depth and interference regulation), Pinpoint (exact target location), coin depth readout to 8”, Visual Target ID (LCD screen), plus Audio Target ID. Its length is adjustable.

It doesn’t take long to learn, its lightweight and despite its low cost it puts expensive features into the hands of the beginner.

Ric-san

Steve glad to hear you have such a good positive outlook to life...we can only live it one day at a time. I thank God that I havent had to go to the V.A. for anything since I retired...I did recieve a disability rating that deos have soem bennifits, but Im pretty much 100% helath minues the regula old guy stuff...hypertension/cholesteral, etc...I am happy to hear the F2 is being good to you...dont dump that dinosuar of the cobra...Im sure it you have mastered it well in all the years you have owned her...

Rick

steve07

Steve glad to hear you have such a good positive outlook to life...we can only live it one day at a time. I thank God that I havent had to go to the V.A. for anything since I retired...I did recieve a disability rating that deos have soem bennifits, but Im pretty much 100% helath minues the regula old guy stuff...hypertension/cholesteral, etc...I am happy to hear the F2 is being good to you...dont dump that dinosuar of the cobra...Im sure it you have mastered it well in all the years you have owned her...

Rick
Absolutely Brother, I still use the King Cobra, when I'm feeling nostalgic and still love it...

The F2 is a machine that is designed to fit all levels of MD experience and does the job very nicely. It's light weight, has good depth, easy to operate and easier to maintain. I have both the F2 and the F5 and recently included the F75L to my arsenal. And to be honest, I still use the F2 as often as the others. A friend and I bet lunch on a depth test several weeks ago; he used the Garrett AT Pro and I grabbed my F2. The testing was equal up to 7", both in target identification and depth of target. The tones were solid and identified very well. The AT Pro did better beyond the 8" target but beyond 9-10" signals were weak or ID was off (for both models). My argument was solid - for a third of what he paid for the AT my F2 clearly held its weight in cost and effectiveness...I bought lunch.

:cool:Thanks for Lunch,, lol,,, actually the AT PRO will start to lose a visual report of corresponding numbers at around 9 plus inches. However if you learned the "Old School Way," you will still receive a decent audio on coins at 10 inches. Sometimes it has been the audio that has grabbed my attention, regardless of the visual numbers. That has been my experience.:cool: