My Impressions

Today was the first real time out with the Teknetics Delta 4000. As for the machine itself it’s put together well and is extremely light. Menus are easy to navigate through on the fly to modify settings on the go. Its default startup mode is discrimination but will drill the trash hard with a few tweaks. I had to raise the discrimination up another level, and notch out aluminum and zinc to quite it down at our local baseball fields. It hits the coins and hits them deep in the wet soil! Pulled copper Lincolns at 8+ inches easily, the VDD numbers hit right on to the chart in the manual and the only deviation really was a quarter we dug in the 9” to 10” range of depth. It targeted up as a dime with both our machines (Fisher F2 and the Delta). Since I have more time on the Fisher we were both scanning the targets that we were sure about to compare notes.

I will say that I noticed one thing that affected both machines. Cold, it was near 40° out but the wind started to kick in. Battery drain on both machines was apparent do to the cold. Started out with fresh batteries in both machines and after a break headed out to another school where it was colder yet with the winds 20 to 25 mph. The batteries were definitely going in both machines after an hour out in the afternoon. The Teknetics only takes one 9 volt and the Fisher two 9 volts. Battery drain was nearly the same as at the end of the second hunt they showed only 1 bar on the meter, and would lose that one when pin pointing. Next time I will take a multi-meter with me and test them.

The Teknetics only has a 1/8” headphone jack, which can be a blessing or a burden. Blessing is cheap $20 ihome headphones with inline volume control are the ticket even though the machine itself has volume control I just leave that at default and use the inline control. Burden, 1/8” jacks are nowhere near as sturdy.

The machine has 2 all metal modes that are nice for feeling out those iffy targets and you can pop in and out of them very quickly. The over load warning is interesting as I was scanning the parking lot walking back with my sensitivity turned up to 10 and a penny would kick in the overload being on the surface. Knock down the sensitivity way down and that stopped.
Overall I like the machine, and will give my impressions of it further as I get it into more situations. Tempted to hit one of my cellar holes for a bit today and give the all metals mode a workout. See what oddities it will uncover.

draaiorgel

Sounds like they were a faulty set of batteries can ya check the batch no. on each one?
Maybe they're all the same batch. If they were Alkalines ya should've got more than an 1.5 hours outta them.

DBG

I hadn't really thought about it but I can't really tell a difference in cold or warm temperatures as far as battery drain. Seems about the same,but I haven't been out in very cold weather, bout 39 or 40 is as cold as I've been.:)

LizardsKeep

Batteries don't like cold weather. When cold the internal resistance in the battery goes way up and currant way down.
Those same batteries should come back up once they warm.
Like a car battery not working well in cold vs warm weather.
Just saying

DBG

Batteries don't like cold weather. When cold the internal resistance in the battery goes way up and currant way down.
Those same batteries should come back up once they warm.
Like a car battery not working well in cold vs warm weather.
Just saying
OK, I use rechargeable Batteries (nicads), will that make a difference since they're not Alkaline? o_O

LizardsKeep

Nope .... a bat is a bat.
But I'm thinking it has to be in the 30's or less before it really starts to show up. I have been in some places where it's really cold that your cell phone had to be kept in an inside pocket where it would stay warm so it would still function. Friend of mine is a photographer and he has special cases that keep the battery area warm and doesn't affect the lens to keep it from fogging up.

It started out at near 40° but dropped fast, the wind was directly blasting both detectors. Yes today both sets of batteries are back up, but replaced them anyways. will keep them on had for emergency back ups. Wind chill temps were easily in the lower 20's later in the day.