My story & why the T2SE is my choice as my primary metal detector.

I've owned quite a few different brands and models of metal detectors over the span of my 51 years of metal detecting. However, the Teknetics T2 Special Edition is my current metal detector that I take with me most of the time when I go metal detecting.
My first metal detector I bought back in 1969 was a Relco BFO type metal detector . It didn't penetrate the ground very deep and would not discriminate between metals so I had to dig all targets. (good thing that it detected only shallow items because I would not have enough hours in a day to dig up all the trash items in the ground). My second metal detector was a Whites Coinmaster BFO which I purchased in 1975. It also was a shallow metal detector and I didn't get much improvement in depth from the Relco plus I still had to dig everything because of the lack of it's ability to discriminate between trash and treasure. I got so discouraged by digging up trash that I gave up actively metal detecting for 36 years. Then in 2012 my wife Phyllis asked me if I'd like to try metal detecting again. I said yes and she told me to order whatever I wanted. After researching metal detectors in the internet, I ordered a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. I received it during the winter so wasn't able to hunt until spring of 2013. Although I air tested the detector when I received it, I didn't realize that it had a bad coil until the spring when the ground was thowed and I was able to use it. The way I found out the coil was bad was that I ordered a 4" coil for it and was able to substitute coils. Despite this problem, the Pioneer 505 found more coins the first time that I used it than the previous dectectors combined. Because of it's ability to discriminate, I spent less time digging up junk and because of it's deeper seeking capabilities I found more good targets in less time. I credit the Pioneer 505 for rekindling my passion for metal detecting. The Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500 and my Teknetics T2 & T2SE were all progressive upgrades with better depth capabilities and better discrimination and advanced features. If only I had the detectors I now have when I first started, I would have found more and been less frustrated and would have stuck with the hobby without a long break. I really envy the youngsters just starting out in the hobby, they have much better and more advanced detectors available to them then we had back in the early days.

sojourner

COINSTAR KING
I started detecting in 1983 and my first detector was a Garrett American Series 2. I found very little with it and what I did find was shallow. It was a TR detector and had very little depth and even less if you discriminated bottle caps and then even less if you discriminated pulltabs. Deciding that I still liked the hobby I bought a White's 6000di and immediately started finding a lot of good stuff. Used that detector for about five years until I dropped it on pavement and it never worked right after that. I bought a white's Eagle II and used that from 1988 until 2014. I found tons of things with that detector and decided to buy a new detector because of getting older and wanting something lighter in weight. I bought a White's M6 which was a pound lighter but still kind of heavy. In 2018 I won a Garrett AT Pro at a seeded hunt and liked it so much I sold my White's M6. Like you, if I had one of today's detectors when I started in 1983 who knows what the finds would have been.
Good luck to you in your hunts...….

bwanaclyde56

Welcome to TQ. I started in 1975 with a Jetco, two years later I upgraded to a Judge IV ( I think), then a Whites Eagle II, then a Whites XLT and just got a Garrett AT Pro Max. I also have a Whites Surfmaster for the water and a Tesoro Compass as back up. Good luck with your hunts and welcome back to the hobby.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
I started out with an Whites XLT back in the early 90s. Have had a few since then. Using a Deus now because it's light weight. Still have my trusty XLT also. Thanks for sharing your story

DigsNW

Welcome and thanks for a little detector history. I think those starting out today will be somewhat as disappointed as you were when starting out not because of the detectors but because of less to find and changing laws.

Old1948guy

Ugh I just had a flashback to how excited I was when I bought a used whites coinmaster long ago and then the reality check I suffered trough when I started using it !:sneaky: But I guess I probably wouldn’t be doing this now if it hadn’t found me a few good things. So let’s finish off this Chinese bat virus because I need to get back at it.

Ugh I just had a flashback to how excited I was when I bought a used whites coinmaster long ago and then the reality check I suffered trough when I started using it !:sneaky: But I guess I probably wouldn’t be doing this now if it hadn’t found me a few good things. So let’s finish off this Chinese bat virus because I need to get back at it.
Kind of reminds me of when I bought my Relco. I was so excited. Til the reality set in that I wouldn't very likely get rich any time soon with the slim pickings I was finding.