New Etrac user here.

Discussion in 'Minelab E-Trac' started by Casca, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    Been on a handful of hunts and seeing a brand new way of hunting. You have to forget everything you know about detecting.

For instance, Deep on will pick the best target be bad or good. If you want a coin, you need to hunt with deep off.

Running two tones but thinking 4 tones would be better for old coins.

Have small coil on and its staying on till further notice.

Running the coin program while using open screen and pin point to id targets better. I have found if a target pin points off the detected area it is junk. That is very weird.

Etrac seems off balance and I do get sore arms after awhile and have to change arms. I am getting good at detecting with both arms. After my shoulder surgery thats a plus as I need to strengthen up.

Now coin count is down. But Im finding the old stuff I was walking over before.

The CTX seemed a little more than I needed and the extra 1000 bucks went on other things. I did pick up a used coil and it was doa. But my two new coils that came with the detector work great.

Swinging very slow and low, any suggestions by more experienced users here. I am hunt very old dirt. Some has green trash and some dont. Soil would be difficult. Sens on auto and usually runs 22.

Etrac.jpg

2. Buster

Buster King of Spam Staff Member

Work at the Eglin Air Force Base Armament Museum
    There are a bunch of folks who run the Etrac here..
    Chuck

Casca likes this.
  3. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes Chuck, I seem to be the last hold out of getting one. Had to save a lot of pennies, but I did it.

4. Minimac

Minimac Well-Known Member

Retired Nuclear Nomad
    I've had mine for a few years now, but I'm still experimenting with different settings. One piece of advice I've found helpful is to keep a logbook of what settings you use and the soil type. I've gone over "hunted out" areas with some success by changing my settings each time.

5. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    Hey Casca,
    Congrats on getting the E-trac.
    Just a suggestion, put the E-Trac in program #1 and leave it there for 100 hours. Listen for the high pitch. When an E-Trac goes over silver, it will scream at you. If you get a 12-45 screech in only one direction, it could be iron that is trying to mask a silver coin.
    P.M me your address and I'll send you a pocket sized target I.D. chart.

PRO PHOTOG likes this.
  6. Minimac

Minimac Well-Known Member

Retired Nuclear Nomad
    Low and slow is the way to go with the E-Trac. It seems to take a bit of time to process, but the results are great.

Casca likes this.
  7. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    While a ID chart would be great. I can not see the screen unless I put the directly behind me. That is opposite of the way I usually hunt. Of course my early morning low light hunts I use the back light. But couldnt see the chart lol. We dont get many cloudy days here, but I could use a chart on cloudy days. I tried to pm but it said start a conversation. While I trust many of you old hands out there, I just dont broadcast personal info unless I know its secure. Did i go to the wrong place to PM?

8. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    Of course with any new machine I was afraid I was loosing targets, and I was lol. As I read Andy S. book and follow many online forums. I am seeing some real benefits now. I purchased four coils total, all small except for the stock coil. I dont find the weight a problem as I thought I would. But do switch hands when detecting as I have taught myself to detect and dig with either hand. My only rule is to keep the digger mounted opposite side of my detector. So for that reason the digger can be slid to either side. I have a knack of hitting the face plates on my detectors. I place a tablet screen protector over the face plate and use a rain cover except for the hunt where I will remove the cover if I really need to see the numbers. I believe sound and technique does more for id than the screen. But the screen does help. I switch between mask and pin point to. I really dont have to sig trash if I dont want. But its very hard for me to pass up a good repeatable signal till I have dug a dozen pulltabs or so. Bottle caps are almost non existent. The 8 inch, 6 inch, and 8x6 sef coils are a blast. I like manual sens at 10 just because I im not trying to dig too deep. I have the stock coil on now for scanning large areas but it is a little more noisy after running the 6 inch. This is all good advice. I find myself counting to 3 as I swing and scan with my eyes. I still use the F75 and AT Pro for most of my hunts lately. Now the parks have started to water again I wont have any trouble probing deep. Your only allowed to probe now. I have a private property search I will do soon. That one is gonna be one trashy hunt, as its a reception area. But between the 3 detectors I should be fine. Now to get up and go hunting.

KRose and PRO PHOTOG like this.
  9. PRO PHOTOG

PRO PHOTOG Well-Known Member

Professional photographer
    Casca, I'm wondering why you went with the E-Trac rather than the CTX? If you don't mind my asking.

10. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    Start a Converation is a P.M.