New Etrac user here.

Discussion in 'Minelab E-Trac' started by Casca, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    Been on a handful of hunts and seeing a brand new way of hunting. You have to forget everything you know about detecting.

For instance, Deep on will pick the best target be bad or good. If you want a coin, you need to hunt with deep off.

Running two tones but thinking 4 tones would be better for old coins.

Have small coil on and its staying on till further notice.

Running the coin program while using open screen and pin point to id targets better. I have found if a target pin points off the detected area it is junk. That is very weird.

Etrac seems off balance and I do get sore arms after awhile and have to change arms. I am getting good at detecting with both arms. After my shoulder surgery thats a plus as I need to strengthen up.

Now coin count is down. But Im finding the old stuff I was walking over before.

The CTX seemed a little more than I needed and the extra 1000 bucks went on other things. I did pick up a used coil and it was doa. But my two new coils that came with the detector work great.

Swinging very slow and low, any suggestions by more experienced users here. I am hunt very old dirt. Some has green trash and some dont. Soil would be difficult. Sens on auto and usually runs 22.

Etrac.jpg

2. Buster

Buster King of Spam Staff Member

Work at the Eglin Air Force Base Armament Museum
    There are a bunch of folks who run the Etrac here..
    Chuck

Casca likes this.
  3. Casca

Casca Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes Chuck, I seem to be the last hold out of getting one. Had to save a lot of pennies, but I did it.

4. Minimac

Minimac Well-Known Member

Retired Nuclear Nomad
    I've had mine for a few years now, but I'm still experimenting with different settings. One piece of advice I've found helpful is to keep a logbook of what settings you use and the soil type. I've gone over "hunted out" areas with some success by changing my settings each time.

5. against the wind

against the wind Well-Known Member

"Lost Treasure Detective"
    Hey Casca,
    Congrats on getting the E-trac.
    Just a suggestion, put the E-Trac in program #1 and leave it there for 100 hours. Listen for the high pitch. When an E-Trac goes over silver, it will scream at you. If you get a 12-45 screech in only one direction, it could be iron that is trying to mask a silver coin.
    P.M me your address and I'll send you a pocket sized target I.D. chart.