New From Arkansas

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Josh and I currently live in Central Arkansas around the Little Rock area. I am extremely new to the hobby (bought first md Saturday) but have been reading up on a lot of info for a few weeks now. I have limited my activity to playing around my house trying to get a good feel for the capabilities of my machine (BH Tracker IV). I've found some odds and ends around the house and have figured out different tones and am able to pinpoint pretty accurately so far.

Anyhow, a little about me...I am medically retired out of the Army, served 11 years split between the Marine Corps and the Army and medically retired out in 2009. In 2008 I was hit by an IED in Iraq and took some shrapnel in my leg that cut my femoral artery. I have a numerous surgeries since then trying to restore and keep circulation in my leg and in the past year have developed lymphedema so that my leg swells horribly. I write all this because it is what has led me to the hobby. I was fairly active and did a lot of hiking, primitive camping and backpacking. Now, I am no longer to do all of these things and really felt lost or without purpose. I remembered as a kid getting a cheap metal detector one year for Christmas and how much I enjoyed it so I figured why not try it again and I would be able to enjoy my love for the outdoors and history as well. It has only been a few days and my wife already says she can see an improvement in my attitude. I love researching all sorts of things so this also give me an outlet for when I am not out in the field but house or work bound.

And a little more about me...I am married to my awesome wife of almost 10 years and I have 4 children (3 girls and a boy). Ages ranging from 5 - 19 so there is never a dull moment. I have not hooked up with a group here yet but I do know there is one here in Central Arkansas.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to reading the wealth of information that is here while making a few friends along the way!

Josh

KRose

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Josh and I currently live in Central Arkansas around the Little Rock area. I am extremely new to the hobby (bought first md Saturday) but have been reading up on a lot of info for a few weeks now. I have limited my activity to playing around my house trying to get a good feel for the capabilities of my machine (BH Tracker IV). I've found some odds and ends around the house and have figured out different tones and am able to pinpoint pretty accurately so far.

Anyhow, a little about me...I am medically retired out of the Army, served 11 years split between the Marine Corps and the Army and medically retired out in 2009. In 2008 I was hit by an IED in Iraq and took some shrapnel in my leg that cut my femoral artery. I have a numerous surgeries since then trying to restore and keep circulation in my leg and in the past year have developed lymphedema so that my leg swells horribly. I write all this because it is what has led me to the hobby. I was fairly active and did a lot of hiking, primitive camping and backpacking. Now, I am no longer to do all of these things and really felt lost or without purpose. I remembered as a kid getting a cheap metal detector one year for Christmas and how much I enjoyed it so I figured why not try it again and I would be able to enjoy my love for the outdoors and history as well. It has only been a few days and my wife already says she can see an improvement in my attitude. I love researching all sorts of things so this also give me an outlet for when I am not out in the field but house or work bound.

And a little more about me...I am married to my awesome wife of almost 10 years and I have 4 children (3 girls and a boy). Ages ranging from 5 - 19 so there is never a dull moment. I have not hooked up with a group here yet but I do know there is one here in Central Arkansas.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to reading the wealth of information that is here while making a few friends along the way!

Josh
Josh, first and foremost.....SEMPER FI. Thanks both for your service and sacrifice in the Corps and the Army from a former Devil Dog from Georgia. A Big WELCOME to you to TQ, the Best Forum anywhere with the best folks from all corners. Also welcome to a great hobby and I wish you much luck with many finds. You are starting off on the right foot in learning your detector and what.it is telling you. I look forward to reading your posts and seeing posts of your many finds. Welcome Aboard. I meant to add that if you ever have any questions on your BH, you can scroll down to the MD makes and click on BH and you can sometimes get a lot of info here, or just simply ask a question. Folks here are always ready to help with any questions.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome!! I plan on going out to a few spots, that I have been researching and eyeing, this Friday and Saturday. I will let everyone know how it goes!

Casca

Josh, you are not alone. I too use the hobby for health reasons. Im a vet, and have issues that prevent me from doing the things I used to love to do. The Bounty Hunter series is able to get a coin at 10 inches in good conditions. But 5 inches or less is what can be expected. I will also share with you one of my secrets to success. I hunt tot lots on my bad days, I can use my good foot to move wood chips and find the target. If you hunt fields or private property look at the lesche shovels that are 30 plus inches long. Pin pointer will help you find your target quicker and make for more finds. I like to take a lot of breaks, stretch on the grass, and walk what I can. Be sure to post pics of your finds, and research is the key.

Thanks guys!! Glad to be a part of the community! Already have learned a ton just by reading the posts and getting out into the field to practice!