New in New York.

against the wind

Hey Kevin, welcome to TQ.
I'm in McKean County, Pennsylvania.
That's about an hour and a half from Steuben County.
I relocated last July after I retired.
I'm meeting numerous people here who are active hobbyists and I have managed to find a little silver.
I ended up joining The Enchanted Mountain Treasure Hunters Club. It is located in Olean, N.Y., and meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. Right now I believe that we have 26 members. We are always looking for new blood.
We have another TQ member, Jack Hunter, who is about 2 hours from me. He is a lot closer to you. A few of my club members and myself, shared a hunt with him last year.
Lots of good people here at TQ and a well of information.
Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Welcome to the TQ family Kevin, I am located south of you on the New York / Pa border and I would be happy to show you around my neck of the woods anytime. A lot of history in this area just waiting to be found....by the way, I am Jack, the one against the wind was talking about.
Nice to meet you Jack. I've been detecting for about 15 years. I just moved from CT last year. I used to swing a Whites MXT. Loved the machine. Had to part with it before the move. Just have a low end detector at the moment. But the new machine will be on it's way this week when I decide what I want. Either going to be another MXT or a Minelab Etrac. What's your thoughts on a detector? And I would be grateful to go on some hunts with you.

JW Hunter

Nice to meet you Jack. I've been detecting for about 15 years. I just moved from CT last year. I used to swing a Whites MXT. Loved the machine. Had to part with it before the move. Just have a low end detector at the moment. But the new machine will be on it's way this week when I decide what I want. Either going to be another MXT or a Minelab Etrac. What's your thoughts on a detector? And I would be grateful to go on some hunts with you.
I use the CTX and have the AT Pro as backup... .I believe against the wind owns a etrac....he can give you better comparison than I.....now that it's getting warmer and drying out a bit I'll shoot ya msg to get something set up to do some dirt fishin

For what my opinion is worth, I would highly recommend the Etrac. It has some turn on and go programs and the VDI numbers are the same as the CTX.
Get the book by Andy Sabisch on the operation of the Minelab Explorer and Etrac Handbook. Lots of good information and programs in that book.
The Etrac will scream at you when it goes over Silver.

Minimac

Congrats on the find! I'm about 1 1/2 hrs north on lake Ontario, so I don't know of any good hunting grounds in your area. I use an E-trac and love it. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but stick to some basic programs and learn to run them well. Then you can experiment/ fine tune it to suit. I think GoGoGopher gets around the area abit, maybe he'll chime in.

Last edited: