New to detecting with an MXT

icewater

TQ Hunt Token King
I took my MXT out and did a ground balance as it said them headed across my yard. I found a smashed beer can 8" down a nail another coke can 6" down two pennies and 2 washers. The MXT said $1 on the cans and 25 cent on the pennies also pieces of aluminium. Yes my yard has a lot of buried construction trash. any suggesting as to make looking easier and why the mxt said these things were coins? The nail I found in the hole with the beer can. Thank Icewater

EBCIII

I do not run a MXT but kow it is a very good machine. I also know we have a few on here that run one. I hope they will give you the answer you need, Beale.

Hey Icewater,

First off, consider the area you're working.... what could be there and why? This list could be very long or very short. As time goes on, you will figure out from your readings what you wish to dig at that particular time.

Those beer/pop cans can be a real pain for literally anyone! Since they are much larger they throw off a much bigger signal area.....it won't be as tight as a coin. Another thing I've noticed is that when you have to keep digging past your depth reading, especially in a more recent history area, it's most likely junk (although the idea of finding some serious life changing cache is always in the back of my mind!....haha).

Keep on digging. :grin:

Hawk

icewater

TQ Hunt Token King
I've been hunting a school ground and tonight I found a 1941 nickel. I also found a boat load of aluminium foil. It kind of looks like aluminium hotdog wrapper but it show up a 1 cent, nickle, dime, poptop or foil. It seems that when it's junk the detector has a hard time telling me what it is. The aluminium foil seems to be the worst along with old potatoe chip bags that had foil in them. I am only digging in the mulch as I am trying to learn. Am I on the right track. Is what I seeing normal for Junk? A little help would really make my day. I am going out tomorrow and search the family farm. We have lived there 46 years and it's been a farm for more than 200 years. I'm going to start with the yard 15 ft by 15 ft till I have had enough. Ice

EPC Guy

TQ Ambassador
I've been hunting a school ground and tonight I found a 1941 nickel. I also found a boat load of aluminium foil. It kind of looks like aluminium hotdog wrapper but it show up a 1 cent, nickle, dime, poptop or foil. It seems that when it's junk the detector has a hard time telling me what it is. The aluminium foil seems to be the worst along with old potatoe chip bags that had foil in them. I am only digging in the mulch as I am trying to learn. Am I on the right track. Is what I seeing normal for Junk? A little help would really make my day. I am going out tomorrow and search the family farm. We have lived there 46 years and it's been a farm for more than 200 years. I'm going to start with the yard 15 ft by 15 ft till I have had enough. Ice
...Sounds like a good plan for your farm hunt...wish ya the best!:bthumb: