New XP Deus User

NJ Bill

Hi Folks,
Been a long time Minelab user and owned quite a few models throughout the years. After researching the XP Deus for a few weeks I had to get one. Took it out today for the first time. My first impression: I like it.
I have a couple minor questions I hope someone can answer.
1. The coil has an LED light that continues to flash even when turned off. Is this normal being on all the time?
2. The coil has those 2 charging prongs that are exposed. Do they need to be covered while detecting in dirt, mud, and most importantly in water?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
It will flash..that is normal..when you plug the coil in to charge.. It will be steady.. The pins don't need to be covered that I can tell..you should have information in the manual.. I would also start off in basic 1 or basic 2 ..there are a few XP folks on here if you have questions.. You will like this machine... Chuck.

plumbcrazy

If you are planning to detect in water you'll probably need to get the antenna kit for it. I'm not sure if it will operate in any depth of water without it, since it's a wireless unit. To be sure, you can call the distributor, Detector Electronics @ 508-460-7644 for any other info you need. If you purchased it from a dealer, they also should be able to answer your questions.

KRose

NJBill, Congrat's on the new XP DEUS. As Buster stated, there are a few Deus users on the forum here. The few I know of are of course Buster, Against the wind (aka Windman), Teamroper, and Diggin brains (Brian). Brian just recently attended a class on the XP DEUS. I'm sure any of these gentlemen could give you any tips or info you may need. Sorry, I can be of no help here. I'm a White's MXT PRO user. Best of luck to you.

NJ Bill

Thanks for clearing that up Chuck. Maybe I should re-word that to "Chuck thanks for clearing that up"... Ha-ha.
Yeh KRose I'm always ready to learn from other folks.
Plumbcrazy, great name. I do some water hunting but I'm done til spring. Even with a wetsuit it's to cold this time of year. I am aware of the underwater capabilities of the Deus and the antenna. Another reason I got it. I like the ability to use just the coil and bottom shaft. I've been using that small handheld 4" coil unit (forget the name, something 730) to scurry along the bottom but it's not much more than a big pin pointer. Can't wait to get the Deus down there.
Happy New Year guys.

diggin brains

Thanks for clearing that up Chuck. Maybe I should re-word that to "Chuck thanks for clearing that up"... Ha-ha.
Yeh KRose I'm always ready to learn from other folks.
Plumbcrazy, great name. I do some water hunting but I'm done til spring. Even with a wetsuit it's to cold this time of year. I am aware of the underwater capabilities of the Deus and the antenna. Another reason I got it. I like the ability to use just the coil and bottom shaft. I've been using that small handheld 4" coil unit (forget the name, something 730) to scurry along the bottom but it's not much more than a big pin pointer. Can't wait to get the Deus down there.
Happy New Year guys.
I took the class with Andy Sabash and would recommend it when it comes to your area you learn a lot of important tricks my first 5 hunts after the class netted silver every day and one was a Spanish 1/2 realle and a two cent piece

against the wind

Hey Bill,
Happy New Year and welcome to Treasure Quest.
I appreciate the Deus capabilities when it comes to going deep. I believe it was really designed for relic hunters, even though it has numerous programs designed for other applications.
Steel bottle caps will drive you nuts if you hunt in parks or other high trash areas.
The French designers could have been a little more considerate when developing the Horseshoe Depth meter.
I used the E-trac for most of 2015 but the few times that I have used the Deus, I recovered silver as well as a few Indian Head Pennies.

NJ Bill

Hey Bill,
Happy New Year and welcome to Treasure Quest.
I appreciate the Deus capabilities when it comes to going deep. I believe it was really designed for relic hunters, even though it has numerous programs designed for other applications.
Steel bottle caps will drive you nuts if you hunt in parks or other high trash areas.
The French designers could have been a little more considerate when developing the Horseshoe Depth meter.
I used the E-trac for most of 2015 but the few times that I have used the Deus, I recovered silver as well as a few Indian Head Pennies.
I see you live in NYC. Where do you hunt. Are there places in the city or do you go elsewhere.

against the wind

I see you live in NYC. Where do you hunt. Are there places in the city or do you go elsewhere.
We have a NYC PARKS PERMIT.
When the permit apps become available,
Go to NYC Parks and Recreation. Then go to Permits. Then hit "Metal Detector "
Then print out applications
It covers 31 parks and 7 beaches